progression stall

Joe90

Reaction score
Hi guys im getting a little frustrated and now feel i need help. Ive been learning the uke for around 3 months properly now and ive hit a wall. As with alot of hobbies i take up such as darts, i seem to learn a little bit then progress no further, then get frustrated and start to think if ive taken up the wrong hobby.

Ive learnt drips and drabs of songs and feel im unsure as to where to go next. I need a structured learning regime i feel as i dont attend classes or anything so just learn on my own accord.

Now what would you reccomend i do? Would a book or dvd help me progress? Im stuck so any advice would be welcome as youtube isnt doing it for me and i dont want to fall out of touch with such a wonderful instrument. Thankyou and hope you can suggest a structured way in which i should learn. Joe

What do you want to achieve and what do you feel you've accomplished already?

Here's a way: http://ukulele4kids.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/u4k-uncle-rods-ukulele-boot-camp-rev2011.pdf

Don't worry about the 4kids, it should probably read ukulele4everybody.
Many of us benfited from it, especially those of who tried to learn uke techniques, chords, lyrics, and melodies all at the same time without having mastered our basic chords. Many of us just can't learn that way. If that's not enough, check out E Medias DVD course for Ukuleles. Shop around for a price in the mid-$20's

What do you want to achieve and what do you feel you've accomplished already?

I want to be able to sit and play whole songs eventually, id like to be an accomplished player that can play songs and mame people hapoy doing so. So far ive learnt basic stuf and want to step it up. Id ideally like a regime as said before rather than just random learning.

Here's a way: http://ukulele4kids.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/u4k-uncle-rods-ukulele-boot-camp-rev2011.pdf

Don't worry about the 4kids, it should probably read ukulele4everybody.
Many of us benfited from it, especially those of who tried to learn uke techniques, chords, lyrics, and melodies all at the same time without having mastered our basic chords. Many of us just can't learn that way. If that's not enough, check out E Medias DVD course for Ukuleles. Shop around for a price in the mid-$20's

Thanks phil, ive already looked through that but struggle sitting at a computer or on my phkne learning. Relaxing with a dvd on sounds more appealling. Is the emedia a good learning tool would you say? Any other GOOD dvds around? Thanks

When you say whole songs, do you mean you want to strum and sing? Do you want to do some chord melody stuff? Are you interested in a particular genre? People might be able to give you more focused and helpful advice if they knew what you wanted to accomplish.

Also, my definition of "basic stuff" is being able to do a very simple strum pattern and make smooth chord transitions. (Mind you, I'm still working on that myself!) But my view is not universal.

This kind of thing happens to most of us. I think that, typically, the learning curve for an instrument like uke starts off pretty steep (i.e.: one learns a great deal very quickly) and then plateaus once a bunch of chords and a few basic strumming patterns have been learned.

I suggest that you look into some more, difficult material. Perhaps choose a few things from the following list that you want to focus on:
- finger picking (maybe some of the simpler of Ken Middleton's arrangements)
- more complex strumming patterns (chunking/muting?)
- scales (major, minor, modes)
- Ukulele Bootcamp (great for learning all your chord shapes) - beyond this you could look at learning barre chords and start transposing all the songs you already know

It's important to focus on just a few things and then to practice, practice, practice. Because these skills are more demanding, the pay-off in terms of time spent practicing versus skill mastery will be a slower one.

There is learning material available (whether in video or written form) for pretty much everything I've outlined above. Let everyone know what you want to focus on and you'll surely get a wealth of responses.

Is there a club near you? Playing with others always inspires me to learn more and play more.

Without sounding naive, i dont want to learn a particular genre of music as my taste ranges widely from hard dance to folk and lots inbetween, i dont want to limit myself to one style. First and foremost i want to learn the ukulele to a compotent level be that playing njsery rhymes or classic songs i dont mind.

In answer to some questions i beleive i should get the basics down first so id say i want to learn new strumming patterns and more advance notes.
Maybe a dvd that would belp me learn to play and read music would be good. Sadly i dont know of any Uke clubs near me so i wont be able to attend any. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Im even open to suggestions of in what order i should learn as i do want to be more structured as i said. You are the experts so ill listen to what you have to say by all means.

Joe, you need weekly lessons. Or, UU University and work through Aldrine's fine, step-wise videos.

I want to be able to sit and play whole songs eventually, id like to be an accomplished player that can play songs and mame people hapoy doing so. So far ive learnt basic stuf and want to step it up. Id ideally like a regime as said before rather than just random learning.

Your situation sounds like mine. I went through Uncle Rod's Boot Camp and have learned all the chords and can play them smoothly but my practice is limited to 'stupid beginner tricks'. I can play parts of songs that interest me (Gently Weeps, Here Comes The Sun, 12 bar blues, Brown Eyed Girl, Star Spangled Banner) but really don't play the whole songs... with the exception of a couple of songs that I just have a blast with.. the theme from Tv's Flintstones and The Adams Family.. ha! They are so much fun and I can actually sing those, but only to myself.
But.. I'm not worried or down about it, just having a great time. Also trying to catch on to some theory but having a brain freeze every time I try to grasp the Circle of Fifths.
As long as the fingers are working, I think I'm doing ok.. and as I said, having a blast! Keep playin what's fun and good luck with someone suggesting a practice regiment.. I'm sure you'll get some great ideas from the group.

UAS update.. New uke should come this week.. Kala Sunburst Archtop tenor from HMS.

Here's Krabbers version of the classic 'stones' song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rueEcsVCDoQ

Had a quick google and found Pompey pluckers.
http://www.tongues-and-grooves.org.uk/musicians/pompey-pluckers.htm

6780-=[Local Uke teacher here:
http://ukulelejunction.co.uk/
(I do not know this guy, just found by searching the internet)

I'm new myself, been playing, or trying to, for the past couple of months. I go to the Verplayers and Burp group meets and have a great time and learn a lot through playing with these groups, all sort of music is played, which is interesting, as some of the stuff I would not bother listening to otherwise, but funnily enough I now like!
Check your local music shops see if they know of any instructors in your area, the local Uke group is also worth checking.
I found that my local Uni had a beginners Uke course which I have signed up for.
Good luck.
h

UAS Update.
Anuenue Lani III tenor due anytime now!

Thanks phil, ive already looked through that but struggle sitting at a computer or on my phkne learning. Relaxing with a dvd on sounds more appealling. Is the emedia a good learning tool would you say? Any other GOOD dvds around? Thanks

I printed out Uncle Rod's Bootcamp practice pages (Mahoalo, Uncle Rod!) and laminated them together in a big accordian-fold.

It works much better that way than on the screen. I can spread the whole thing out and play through, and I find that very helpful.

I should do it more often, though!

Your right id love lessons to be honest ill have to look into that. First ill try a few dvds and see how it goes with those. thanks

I think you will find that you can view everything a DVD can offer online. I used to think the magic answer would be a DVD when I was learning guitar but it wasnt. To start off with pick a song that is just a bit above your ability at the moment. Then just try and get that down even if it takes you months to learn. Then just have fun with other little things while you atr doing that. When you have accomplished that you can think you have achieved something.

Or you may be like a lot of people and try and do too much before you can do it like changing chords.

Thanks all very much for the replies, and thanks to member hms for the teacher links. Heres the thing, as some of you have said im probably wanting to be too good too fast. Ive just downloaded a dvd called ukulele method and most of his teachings were based on reading music which i have tried to grasp but find it very very confusing and it actually sends my head in a spin.

My ideal lesson is, we have a song, and im taught the names of the notes im playing and where to arrange my fingers to be able to play the notes. Obviously along with the strum pattern. I find that method of learning alot easier. Kind of like aldrines play along videos.

Bar chords im finding difficult still, transitions from bar chords or to them even more so. Im pretty much at the point where i can go from a few different simple chords smoothly. I think i should mainly concentrate on chords first and foremost?

Thanks all very much for the replies, and thanks to member hms for the teacher links. Heres the thing, as some of you have said im probably wanting to be too good too fast. Ive just downloaded a dvd called ukulele method and most of his teachings were based on reading music which i have tried to grasp but find it very very confusing and it actually sends my head in a spin.

My ideal lesson is, we have a song, and im taught the names of the notes im playing and where to arrange my fingers to be able to play the notes. Obviously along with the strum pattern. I find that method of learning alot easier. Kind of like aldrines play along videos.

Bar chords im finding difficult still, transitions from bar chords or to them even more so. Im pretty much at the point where i can go from a few different simple chords smoothly. I think i should mainly concentrate on chords first and foremost?

There is hundreds on You Tube this is for real beginners but you will find many others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD_lPXb5ivY&feature=relmfu

QUOTE]

I can't read music, but can tabs. Have you looked at tabs for the music you want to play?
There are also think like the Kiwi Chord sheet which shows the chords and which finer to use for each string.

h

I have the E Media guitar DVD and it is an easy way to learn. Assume the Uke lessons are as straightforward and easy to learn. Lots of free demos on HMS, YouTube - just search ukulele...and....enter what you want to learn...strums, fingering, but sooner or later, you still have to do some of the boring stuff and master your basic chords. Depends on whether you want to be a casual, occasonal strummer, or want to be a halfway decent uke player.

Im going to find a cable to beam my phone to my tv so i can carry on via youtube, it seems the best option for now fitting my needs. Was just curious as to what others done.

In regards to the dvd, ill keep a look out for it, tabs wise i struggle to read those too so must learn that as it looks easier than sheet music.
Youtube is great yes ill try and get it cabled through my tv so i can relax whilst it plays via my phone. Rather than at a computer desk.
Id like to be a half decent player to be fair as ive always wanted to excel in anything i do. Doing so is a different story lol....

Last edited:
Top Bottom