Is Concert size easiest to learn on?

Normagal

Reaction score
I read this somewhere. Do you agree?

I have a Yellow Makala Dolphin with Aquila strings.

I dont think there is one answer for this question. For me I learned on a concert and it is the prefered size for me. It is an indemediate size and can have more frets (some of them have 14 to the body).

But really everyone is different. If one comes from a gutiar background a tenor would probably be easier. If someone has short fingers maybe a soprano. It really seems to depend on the individual.

I have got to agree with dnewton2 - it is very much a case of what suites the individual best. Having said that the Dolphin is good soprano starter ukulele and you have some decent strings fitted.

Are you having some specific problem playing the Dolphin?

No, no problems. Course, I have nothing to compare it to. I just read someone's opinion on Concert size being easier, and wondered what more of you thought.

I started on an inexpensive soprano but decided the concert scale was easier for me. After some time practicing on the concert it became easier to play a soprano. But I still prefer the concert size fretboard. Especially on a soprano body!

I do not think there is a right uke or a wrong uke to learn on. The MAIN factor is how does the uke feel in your hands. If the concert feels more comfortable than the soprano, then there is your answer. Go to a store that carries all sizes and try them out. Trust me.....you will know which one is right for you!!

Last edited:
Is Concert size easiest to learn on?

It just might be, yes.

The easiest uke to learn on is a properly set up one, regardless of size, that feels good and sounds good to you....one you like and are comfortable playing. I am a relatively large man, hands not too big though, and concert is my preferred size, but I like them all. Often, someone inserts the picture of a 5 year old Chinese girl playing an acoustic jumbo guitar. Sound being equal, it's the one that feels best in your hands that seems to get the most play. some play their beginner uke just because it feels better as their "go to uke."

Last edited:
if you can try the different sizes out, you will know for yourself, concerts do offer more room on the fret board and as previously stated after playing one you will probably find the soprano easier to play as well, i enjoy playing all sizes, Tenors are great for fingerpicking as well as strumming and they are very loud, Concerts are a great intermediate size and if I am playing with my band they are easier on the fingers than a tenor, less stretch, Soprano's are the most fun when you are strumming songs, going hiking/camping or on a flight coz they are so small and easy to transport, I love em all

I have nothing new to add. But I'll add it anyway. :)

I started with a soprano. I found I had a hard time with certain chords on the tiny scale, so I got a concert. It was, for me, more comfortable. Just this week I got a tenor in the hopes of learning low G fingerpicking. Some day. I'm a bit surprised with how much more space there is between the strings. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

As others have said, the soprano is now easier than when I first struggled with it. But I much prefer the concert size.

In the end, it's personal preference.

Yep! It is.

Eh. I have a lot of sopranos, one concert and one tenor. I like the concert the least.

Eh. I have a lot of sopranos, one concert and one tenor. I like the concert the least.

I have some tenors and concerts, only one playable soprano. I like the concert most.

See..... this question is all about personal preference. Try to find a concert uke and play it, then ask yourself first :)

I am still a beginner and have tried and played soprano, concert and tenor. I'm ok with all three, but definitely favor the concert size so +1 on "yes" for me.

Started on a concert but prefer tenors. That's probably why I only have one concert, one soprano, and five tenors including one super concert which has a tenor scale. But I do like to play them all. I like the sound of my tenors the most.

Don't go by what other people play. Go by what feels natural to you. In time you may decide to change.

Just started myself last Christmas and started out on a Lanikai 21c concert uke because the dealer recommended it. I'm sort of either an "advanced beginner" or "beginning intermediate" now and am trying out other sizes, tunings, etc. I liked that uke a lot to start but am finding that I like different ukes for different types of songs (i.e. I may be getting a tenor uke for the blues).

I must be the exception to the rule. I have large hands (XL or XXL gloves), a guitar background, and the soprano seems to me to be the easiest to learn on, unless you are playing way up the neck of the fretboard. I only recently picked up a concert, and it's been noticably more difficult.

Guess I'm just weird!

I must be the exception to the rule. I have large hands (XL or XXL gloves), a guitar background, and the soprano seems to me to be the easiest to learn on, unless you are playing way up the neck of the fretboard. I only recently picked up a concert, and it's been noticably more difficult.

Guess I'm just weird!

Not at all, big hands here to, and soprano is the way to go. Unless we get at fret 12, it's getting difficult there.

Top Bottom