Waverly guitar vs Waverly ukulele tuners

MARCOVGV

Reaction score
I need tuners for three ukuleles. I am in love with the look of waverlys and i have used them before good product.

they now make a ukulele specific product. although some Luthiers still prefer using the guitar tuner on their ukeleles anyways. the specs are below. really what changes is the post length and thickness on the guitar tuner is longer/ thicker and it is "tapered" which in my eyes is more pleasing to the eye.

the one pro the ukulele tuner has is the curly koa knobs, looks real nice. price is the same for both for 12 tuners...which ones would you guys go for or have experience with? input please !!!

ukulele
waverlyukulele_zps9cfd4757.gif

guitar
waverlyguitar_zpsb1b8da40.gif

I would go for the uke-specific tuners. Waverly tuners are the best in the world (IMO) so the quality will be the same.

I assume the shorter, smaller-diameter posts reflect the thinner bass strings on the uke and therefore, a lesser amount of space needed on the posts. The smaller-diameter bushings might also look better on the smaller headstock of the ukulele.

Scooter

I think the uke tuners would look more proportional than the guitar tuners. I've had and used both and you can't go wrong with either of them.
What ukes are you installing them on?

Hi Marcovgv.

I have the ukulele tuners on a Boat Paddle uke that I had built recently. But I opted for the ebony buttons instead of the koa. I don't know if there would be a difference between the guitar and ukulele tuners with regards to headstock thickness or break angle of the strings coming off the nut. Maybe posting in the luthiers lounge would give you better responses.
035.jpg

nrad donaldson is making me two ukes, and the other set would go on a KPK tenor. LOL yea i know they are about half the price of the uke but whatever i like it and the ones it comes with are Bogus at best.

I think the uke tuners would look more proportional than the guitar tuners. I've had and used both and you can't go wrong with either of them.
What ukes are you installing them on?

I think the Ukulele Waverly tuners a... not so hot. It's a good start but there are a couple major flaws to them. First the the post has a sharp ridge where it steps up to wider section as it goes through the peghead. And second, the post is a bit less than 1/4" which makes it hard to find the right step down bit to cut the wider insert hole.
And to boot... They are more expensive. I love waverly but they should have done a little more R&D on these.

yea i was looking at the diagram and what little pictures i could find they look less refined and not as well designed. I think I am going to go with two guitar setts and i save like 45 bucks for three ukes. wish the guitar sets came with a Curly koa knob those look nice!

anyone tried the Schertler tuners they are nice looking maybe a bit to modern but not much feedback on stewmac

I think the Ukulele Waverly tuners a... not so hot. It's a good start but there are a couple major flaws to them. First the the post has a sharp ridge where it steps up to wider section as it goes through the peghead. And second, the post is a bit less than 1/4" which makes it hard to find the right step down bit to cut the wider insert hole.
And to boot... They are more expensive. I love waverly but they should have done a little more R&D on these.

Hi Eric - do you use Waverly tuners? If not, which brand do you use? Thanks!

I have used both ukulele tuners and guitar tuners on a ukulele. Which you should use depends on the thickness of the headstock. A couple of my ukulele's had THICK, guitar size headstocks so I needed guitar specific tuners so that they would be long enough to show through. The problem with using guitar tuners on ukuleles with normal, THIN headstocks is that with the tuners sticking up too far you will need a LOT of string wrap to get a decent break angle over the nut.

Go with the ones that suit your headstock thickness. Ukulele tuners for thin headstocks and guitar tuners for thick headstocks.

Anthony

if i have to go with guitar tuners due to headstock thickness I think i like Gotoh mini 510...

I have used both ukulele tuners and guitar tuners on a ukulele. Which you should use depends on the thickness of the headstock. A couple of my ukulele's had THICK, guitar size headstocks so I needed guitar specific tuners so that they would be long enough to show through. The problem with using guitar tuners on ukuleles with normal, THIN headstocks is that with the tuners sticking up too far you will need a LOT of string wrap to get a decent break angle over the nut.

Go with the ones that suit your headstock thickness. Ukulele tuners for thin headstocks and guitar tuners for thick headstocks.

Anthony

Top Bottom