so im tricking out my mexican strat...

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
i wanna make the best from the least. we're talkin bang for the buck... but without having to be an electrical engineer. im good with tools and solder, so if its easy bolt on type stuff, then i can handle it.

anyway, i was on the guitarnuts site and saw some things i can do to shield the guitar from buzzing. one was a rewiring job that requires the addition of a capacitor to get rid of all the "ground loops". simple enough. just gotta figure out where i can buy a 0.33ur 400v cap. radioshack?

there was also some stuff about copper shielding the pickup and control cavities, but i noticed that the entire backside of my pick guard is already shielded (new guitar) and there is that special paint in the cavities (says that if it has this stuff already then the copper shielding wont make much difference). so i guess ill pass on that and stick to the rewiring.

so far what ive done is:
1. seymour duncan SHR1 hotrails stacked pickup in bridge position
2. stock neck pickup from mexican telecaster in my middle position
3. moved stock middle pickup to neck position
4. rewired to use tone control on bridge pickup.

so im still getting this hum. i know its from outside frequencies because when i turn off the fluorescent lights in my room, turn off my laptop using wireless connection, have my cell out of the room, and turn off any other unneccessary electronics the hum goes away and all thats left is the typical single coil hum from the stock tele and stock strat pickups.

so now after reading all this, for all you guitar guru's and electrical engineers, i have a question. with the rewiring to remove the ground loops make a difference? will it help more with protecting from the outside freqs, or is it going to make a difference with the single coils? or both?

here is a schematic of a typical stock wiring setup...
stratinnards.gif

and here is a schematic of how it will be rewired (somewhat). ill be making my own touches to it at the selector.
shieldedinnards.gif

so now after reading all this, for all you guitar guru's and electrical engineers, i have a question. with the rewiring to remove the ground loops make a difference? will it help more with protecting from the outside freqs, or is it going to make a difference with the single coils? or both?

Well it depends on what kind of bling you have.

Check out Stewart Mcdonald, luthier mechantile International, and Grizzly industries for parts and quality capacitors. Radioshak does cary the capacitor you listed. .

Stew mac has a resource center that I believe has an article on humproofing a strat (carolos santana's). You also have to sheild the electronics cavity. They also have various alternate wiring diagrams.

Top Bottom