Chord Melody?

VaGoddess

Reaction score
Hello! I have a question that I'm sure someone can answer. I really enjoy playing melody, fingerpicking, finger style ukulele. I've been playing the uke for about 7-8 months now and don't really play to many songs that incorporate a lot of strumming. So, my question is how do I begin making up songs that have more melody than strumming? I like more modern music, so if anyone has tabs feel free to let me know!

Thanks!

Do you want to make up songs or do you want tabs of existing songs?

If you want to make up your own songs, try doing chord arpeggios over and over. Hold a chord and pick the strings in various patterns. Change chords with the same pattern, or vary the patterns. Eventually you will start to hear melodies in there. Then a couple of connecting notes between chords and you'll have a full fledged melody. And you will already have the chords to go with it. Write 'em down, too.

The trick I learned is to use different chord positions, this will allow you to play a melody on the bottom string.
Example:
Play a C chord like 0003
Now play a C chord in another position, 5433.
From that position play 5437, 5435, 5433, 0433, while stumming.
This will give you some sort of melody possibilities.

Good luck!

Paul Hemmings taught a workshop at the 2012 Wine Country Ukulele Festival called "Chord Melodies" and he's posted instructional materials online in pdf format. Here's the link to these materials:
http://www.uketet.com/workshops/chordmelodies.pdf

Whoa. That's pretty cool. I got his CD from his Kickstarter project, and he is an awesome musician. The PDF also looks awesome!

Do you want to make up songs or do you want tabs of existing songs?

If you want to make up your own songs, try doing chord arpeggios over and over. Hold a chord and pick the strings in various patterns. Change chords with the same pattern, or vary the patterns. Eventually you will start to hear melodies in there. Then a couple of connecting notes between chords and you'll have a full fledged melody. And you will already have the chords to go with it. Write 'em down, too.

I would like to do a little of both, eventually! As of right now, I'm just looking for tabs!

The trick I learned is to use different chord positions, this will allow you to play a melody on the bottom string.
Example:
Play a C chord like 0003
Now play a C chord in another position, 5433.
From that position play 5437, 5435, 5433, 0433, while stumming.
This will give you some sort of melody possibilities.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice!

Have you checked out Ukulele Hunt? Lots of tab there as well as helpful videos of it being played. Also if you're looking more at your baritone then check out the side links on Humble baritonics.

Have fun

What's up with the chord shapes in that pdf, they're quite different from the ones that I know. Some are for C-tuning but others are ???? e.g., Am as open (really Am7) rather than 0100 and Dm as 0111 rather than 2210? I know that there are different ways to chord but these seem strange or perhaps I just don't know them as alternatives? TIA, g2

What's up with the chord shapes in that pdf, they're quite different from the ones that I know. Some are for C-tuning but others are ???? e.g., Am as open (really Am7) rather than 0100 and Dm as 0111 rather than 2210? I know that there are different ways to chord but these seem strange or perhaps I just don't know them as alternatives? TIA, g2

I think you are misreading the shapes. The Am chord has a muted string in it and the Dm is at the 5th fret

Ooh, thank you for the link to that .pdf. I am most definitely vocally challenged, so I'm always interested in learning more tab or arpeggio information.

Paul Hemmings taught a workshop at the 2012 Wine Country Ukulele Festival called "Chord Melodies" and he's posted instructional materials online in pdf format. Here's the link to these materials:
http://www.uketet.com/workshops/chordmelodies.pdf

That looks a really useful document. I've downloaded it.

I do sing, but am always interested in ways I can make accompaniments more interesting and this will give me some ideas.

Another way of melody playing I have seen which sounds good is to play the melody single string but at important places play chords.

Thanks for posting the link.

Last edited:
Thank you all for this thread. I'm learning a lot!

Top Bottom