Baritone recommendations?

His Sinfulness

Reaction score
I have decided to turn to the "dark side." I live in Korea, where finding a baritone to try before I buy is pretty tough, so I would really like to get some suggestions from folks who have experience with baritones.

I am interested in getting something with a pick-up, but still on the lower end of the price range - I think the maximum that I could justify is around $400. I prefer a warmer, darker sound, and I like the look of cut-aways but that's not really a big issue. Anybody got any suggestions?

Well.....I went with a Pono. I have the AB Baritone and I love it. It's a very high quality ukulele in all respects.

I like my Mainland mahogany, expecially since I put a JJB-200 pickup in it. Uke, pickup, and lightweight "hardfoam and canvas" case should come in under your desired budget.

But where you're located you might be able to get a Pono for about the same price, which might be a better deal, hard to say.

John

I think HMS has a few Pono Baritones for 1/2 off for blemish 2nds:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pono-MBD-Ba...546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d5edfa6a

The MB, non delux version is going for $269 if you check the sellers other listings. You will find various discussions on here of the merits of the delux Pono over the standard or otherwise. I went for the standard and the sound is wonderful. Also, I think this seller does a good setup though worth checking.

Pair it with some Southcoast or Living Water Strings. Sounds lovely in linear or re-entrant tuning.

For what it's worth, one of my bandmates plays a Luna High Tide baritone, and it's great. Sounds really nice, both acoustic and amped, and the quality and design is lovely.

---
Kevin B.
Tenor uke player, songwriter - The Diabolical Machines
Indie rock/power pop from Texas

Last edited:
I just saw the OHANA BK-20CE - very reasonably priced, especially for a noob like me... :cool:
I have the BK-20 (no electronics) but it is very nice. You wanted dark and warm, well that's mahogany for ya, fits the bill perfectly. :)

I very recently got one of the Pono MB 'seconds' for basically half price with a quality hard case. It sounds great, does not have a single structural flaw, and is clearly a top quality instrument. The minor imperfection in the stain doesn't bother me at all, all things considered. If you want one with a pickup, you'll have to contact the seller about it, as the ones on ebay when I got mine were not wired.

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks! I am making one last pass through our music store district (the Nakwon Arcade in Seoul) to see if I can find any of these ukes to actually play. Failing that, I'm going to order the Luna from HMS.

I love my Ohana BK-35, very warm with Southcoast strings.

I'm sure the Luna will make you happy-- but I had to chime in with another Pono recommendation. I love mine and can hardly put it down.

Another vote for a Pono baritone.

Top Bottom