PDA

View Full Version : Should I sell my Current uke to fund the next one?



berylbite
11-20-2008, 04:58 PM
So I'm saving up for a Kamaka Tenor, It's going to be a big buy. Should I sell my Bushman engelman concert to cover the final expenses of the Kamaka?

dnewton2
11-20-2008, 05:32 PM
That my friend is a question you will have to answer yourself. What I mean by that is, is it worth giving up something you like to get something you may love?

I am, almost, sure most people would say give up the bushman for the kamaka. But they havent been playing that uke and dont hold the same value that you may hold with that uke.

grappler
11-20-2008, 06:26 PM
i wouldnt!

Sayyadina
11-20-2008, 08:06 PM
I sold my RISA to get an MP. Never regretted it, so I would say go for it.

thesoobz
11-20-2008, 08:19 PM
if it has meaning to you maaang keep it!.
my first uke i gave to a friend but shes with me so its with me? hahaa yeah mann i dont think i could part with mine personally.

michaeltran3
11-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I cherish all of my ukes, and I would n ever sell one just to get a new one. I would just save money untill i have enough, but then again its your choice.

uluapoundr
11-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I love all my ukes too, but those that I don't play much get sold for bigger and better things! Ukes are for playing and I just couldn't see it sitting in a case.

Tulip
11-20-2008, 10:45 PM
If it's just sitting there in a case, then sell it to get what you may like better, or at least play more. If your Bushman engelman concert is just sitting in the case, it would feel neglected. Let it have a chance to feel loved and useful. ;)

one80
11-21-2008, 12:33 AM
If it's just sitting there in a case, then sell it to get what you may like better, or at least play more. If your Bushman engelman concert is just sitting in the case, it would feel neglected. Let it have a chance to feel loved and useful. ;)

i agree with tulip.If it isnt being used then it will be put to better use if you sell to someone who will carry on its playing life. Also it will bring you closer to that Kamaka that you will love.
Let us know what you decide, and good luck

SailQwest
11-21-2008, 01:16 AM
I would hang onto the Bushman, especially if you haven't played the Kamaka you're thinking about getting.

I've had a chance to play a variety of ukes (especially this summer), including a Kamaka, a Kanilea, and several Koalohas. There was not a single one that I would have traded my Engelmann concert for.

I should add that John and Mike at Bushman hand-picked mine for me, so I realize that it's the cream of the crop, and it is indeed an exceptional instrument.

My advice: if you really like your Bushman, don't sell it to finance a Kamaka unless you play a specific Kamaka and fall in love with it.

Lanark
11-21-2008, 01:36 AM
I might be inclined to keep it for the simple reason that it's a different scale than the Tenor you're getting and it's always nice to have something different to play.

And to have something a little more knockabout for those times you might not want be bringing out the "good" instrument or a spare for somebody to play at an impromptu jam. And for something to have a direct compare and contrast with when the Kamaka arrives.

Another thing I'd consider is how much of a loss I'd be willing to take on the Bushman to put towards the Kamaka. If you're only going to get a hundred or so out of selling it, it wouldn't really seem worth it to me. It's not like that extra hundred is going to be some insurmountable sum you're not going to be able to achieve in short time anyway. In the end it speeds up the ordering process a little, but you give up an instrument you can play in the meantime. Having nothing to play for two weeks would be worse for me than waiting an extra month to order a new instrument.

And for all you really know right now, that Kamaka Tenor might not be all that you imagine it to be. You might actually find you prefer concert scale and a hundred other things that may seem unlikely now. It's not like you can't eventually sell the Bushman later if you decide that you don't need it after all is said and done.

But I'm generally rather cautious about selling musical stuff, I've had a few regrets in my life.

upskydowncloud
11-21-2008, 01:37 AM
So I'm saving up for a Kamaka Tenor, It's going to be a big buy. Should I sell my Bushman engelman concert to cover the final expenses of the Kamaka?

Hey I'm doing the same thing. I've been saving up for a Kamaka tenor for bloody ages, I just about had the money then WHAM the exchange rate went the wrong way and my English pound lost about $200 in value so I'm saving more up!

Is the Bushman your first ukulele? Even though my first ukulele wouldn't sell for much money at all I'd never sell it simply because it was my first uke and it means a lot to me. I bought my current uke a few months ago, while it doesn't have as much meaning as my first uke I'd still like to hang on to it. I'm lucky enough to not have to sell it (again it's not worth much) but if I had a real need for the money I would.

I'd say that if it's your first uke or you have a special attachment to it and you aren't desperate for the money that you should keep it. Otherwise sell it and forget about it, focus on your lovely new Kamaka!

John

berylbite
11-22-2008, 08:30 AM
It is indeed my "first uke, and I've been playing if for 4 years now. I think I'll keep it. Like a number of you said, I should have something to compare the kamaka to, and I should keep a concert size around for variety.

I've been playing the poor thing to pieces. I'd say that I've averaged out at about an hour a day of playing since Christmas of 2004. I've got alot of heart in that little guy.

Besides, I need a uke to take to the beach. Hell will freeze over before I take a Kamaka HF-3 tenor to the beach.

nikolo727
11-23-2008, 02:58 PM
I wouldnt. I dont know why, but i wouldnt. i guess ive just had to many memorries with all of my ukes. My soprano was my first one. My baritone was played at a family vacation. and my tenor is my baby and first "nice" uke. It depends on you actually. go with your gut feeling.

Ukeluvr
11-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Don't sell it....you'll always find a reason to go back and play it...later.....especially if there a big tone difference between them

Ukeluvr