Chunk

bm0to5

Reaction score
I ve watched the uke minute about chunking but i still havent gotten it down. Like i dont know what it is like my strings resonate after I ATTEMPT to chunk. I strum down then my palm opens so that the thumb pad can dampen the strings, but the stings sound muffled and it doesnt sound clean. im pretty much frustrated right now.:mad:

After the strum part of the "chunk" try using your palm not your thumb,
I tend to use the meaty part of my thumb/palm not the moving part of my thumb if that makes sence.

After the strum part of the "chunk" try using your palm not your thumb,
I tend to use the meaty part of my thumb/palm not the moving part of my thumb if that makes sence.

I agree with Freedive. When I was learning how to chunk, my tendency was to use just my thumb to mute the strings. This still allowed some resonating which seems to be your problem try adjusting your hand so that the fleshy part right of you hand, below your thumb, is what you are using.

One other thing to try is, for the "strum" part of the chunk, it's not supposed to be a full out strum. Relax your fingers and make them really loose, and just graze the strings with your fingertips (maybe just the bottom two or three strings) before the rest of your hand comes down to mute.

You might also want to release the pressure on your left hand so that you're not really holding down a chord, just muting it with your fingertips.

Don't worry, you'll get it! Just keep practicing and it'll get more and more natural over time. Good luck!

when i chunk i just strum with my pointer finger, not with all my fingers and mute with the meaty base of my thumb...its easier for me and i can keep the speed of the strum pattern and it still sounds good

Top Bottom