Ringing C String!

Ipsofacto

Reaction score
Much to my annoyance, the C string on my new Ukadelic has started ringing... I'm also noticing that the volume on it has dropped a lot. I'm assuming this means I need new strings, but it's just annoying that on a brand new Uke that I'm changing my strings a week into owning the instrument.

Is this a pretty common thing to look out for in new Ukes? That unless I know it's just come into the store, that the strings are going to probably need replacing within a few weeks of owning the instrument? Or is it just bad practice on the part of the shop I bought it from? Alternatively, is it just me playing on it a little too hard?

Either way, me trying to restring a Uke for the first time is going to be fun :/

Please define ringing. Thank you.

Not sure what you mean by ringing...

Does the problem still occur when you fret other notes on the C string? If it stops when you start fretting on that string, there is like an issue with the nut.

If it was fine before and now is not the first thing I would try is replacing the strings. Not sure what strings come on it but a lot of inexpensive ukes have pretty crummy strings.

Also not sure what you mean by "ringing" (usually ringing implies sustain and is a good thing). If you mean "buzzing" then it sounds like you could possibly have a problem with setup (again, not unusual on inexpensive ukes) but I would still try changing the strings first, especially if it wasn't doing it from the start.

John

I guess 'buzzing' is a more appropriate word for it ;) The string is completely dissonant, with any chord I play, the buzz of the C string takes a lot of the tonality out of it. It 'c' itself is almost muted under the buzzing vibration it causes when strummed. As I said, it was fine when I started playing and could possibly be due to me strumming a little too hard, I'll change the strings and see if it has any effect

Top Bottom