PDA

View Full Version : Satin, Gloss or Tattoo?

Quenelle77
10-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Hello guys, I just wanted to know which finition do you like the most on a Kanile'a Tenor?

I will get one soon and I really cant decide between those 3, because the sound is the same (correct me if I'm wrong).

Which one will last the most? I've heard Gloss finition is more durable than satin, but I dont know if thats true etc ..

Some pictures of those finitions:
Tattoo: http://www.exquisite.fr/img/p/414-733-thickbox.jpg
Satin: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sSYtSeA3O4w/Tj0VpwcMZJI/AAAAAAAAAoQ/_xAbKypBBfU/s1600/DSC_5735.JPG
Gloss: http://www.ukulele.fr/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13972.0;attach=100 88;image

Thanks all

seeso
10-26-2012, 10:29 AM
I am a satin man.

wickedwahine11
10-26-2012, 10:30 AM
When it comes to Kanilea, I really prefer their gloss, as the UV finish is beautiful.

kvehe
10-26-2012, 10:41 AM
I have both satin and gloss, and both are beautiful in different ways, but in my heart I prefer satin.

mds725
10-26-2012, 11:20 AM
I'll vote if you agree to abide by the results, even if the final vote is for a finish other than the one you want. :)

But seriously, I really think that nobody but you can decide which one is the most aesthetically pleasing to you. If your decision is based solely on the plusses and minuses of the different finishes, then it would be helpful to know what those plusses and minuses are. I don't know if this is true for Kanile'a, but I've heard that gloss shows fingerprints more, and there have been intermittent discussions at UU about whether gloss on the soundboard mutes the sound. I would also guess that gloss would protect the soundboard better from strumming scratches. Kanile'a's gloss is somewhat unique, and I've heard people say that if you're going to get a Kanile'a, you should get the gloss because it's so special and it's one of the selling points of Kanile'as. My hope would be that people don't just say "I like satin" or "I like gloss" but instead actually share their experiences with satin in gloss concerning such issues as wear, sound, maintenance, etc.

For what it's worth, I think both the satin and gloss look terrific. I'm not a big fan of the tattoo.

Caddy65
10-26-2012, 11:21 AM
I prefer satin finishes. I have spent hours on some of my guitars to get that high gloss poly finish done to a nice (richer looking in my opinion) satin finish.

Linho
10-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Personal i dont like gloss finish. IT looks great and has a stunning 3d effect, especially on curly Koa. But I dont like the feeling! Too cold, too much external material between my fingers and the wood. Also i dont like fingerprints. And little scratches look much worse on gloss. All just imho.

So for me: Satin. For the feeling.

Tatoo or Not? You have to know what looks better in your eyes. I just bought a Tatoo since it just amazed me when i happened to play one live. It looks and feels very high class. Simply fell in Love with.

Satin plain also looks great, but the Tatoo gives it a spezial and extraordinary note...

Paul December
10-26-2012, 11:52 AM
The answer is gloss.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-26-2012, 12:19 PM
I've got to add my vote for the tattoo. I'd be making them if Joe hadn't beaten me to it. Although I've never played one it's outstanding, unique look.

coolkayaker1
10-26-2012, 12:57 PM
The answer is gloss.

Agree, wholeheartedly.

Newportlocal
10-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Tattoo........

itsme
10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
I like the classic simplicity of satin myself. :)

OldePhart
10-26-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm not a big finish guy but I have to admit that Kanilea does gloss about as well as anybody. That said, I'd probably still end up with satin; it doesn't show the fingerprints and dings anywhere near as much as gloss does and I play my ukes so they are going to get a little of each with time.

John

molokinirum
10-26-2012, 01:17 PM
I love Kanile'a gloss!!

PhilUSAFRet
10-26-2012, 01:19 PM
When it comes to Kanilea, I really prefer their gloss, as the UV finish is beautiful.

:agree: Kanilea concert uv finish at the top of my uke list.

Kamanaaloha
10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
I agree with gloss! While satin is really nice and natural...the instrument can be subjected to more environmental issues...which leads to storage...and how one stores their ukulele! The interesting thing is that most, if not all instruments are only finished on the outside...so the interior is still subject to more environmental stuff...but you cannot really touch in there anyways...kind of like furniture...so <shrug> go with what you like...buy a bowl/calabash if it is just there to look at, imho!

Coconut Willie
10-26-2012, 01:46 PM
For me....gloss all the way!!

fabioponta
10-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Satin is the best for a good vibrating sound uke

Trinimon
10-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Gloss it up baby! Really brings out the wood grain. :)

Lori
10-26-2012, 06:12 PM
I love my gloss Kanile'a, and I rarely see fingerprints on the surface. If you see any, they easily wipe away. The finish is rich and strong at the same time. I haven't noticed any scratches from playing, and it has gotten pretty good use for 2 and a half years +. It's a pleasure to play.

–Lori

bluesuke
10-26-2012, 07:04 PM
I like a gloss body and satin neck there not so sticky feeling if that make cents

tigersister
10-26-2012, 07:35 PM
I prefer satin overall, so I voted for that. However, I think for certain wood grains or designs, gloss can give an extra pop to the overall look. Tattoos on ukes look pretty cool, but I think I prefer them on my men. ;)

wmboy
10-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Definitely gloss.

Quenelle77
10-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks all for you answer!

I might listen to you and get gloss ;)

Not many tattoo fans by the way ^^

savagehenry
10-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Shiny shiny gloss!

coolkayaker1
10-27-2012, 02:10 AM
Tattooed ukuleles look inexpensive. Luna makes them and sells the most. an expensive Kanilea tattoo is uncommonly purchased. Didn't even know K made one until this week, but it sure looks like a Luna. Looks laminate, but its a K. Few would buy it (new or used) when, for the same price, one could have a gorgeous gloss and let the wood speak for itself. The resale on one used, as reflected in your survey, would be atrocious, so it's a lifelong keeper (like a real tattoo) for any owner.

Just one theory on why the tattooed uke scored so low in your survey.

patfia
10-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Tattooed ukuleles look inexpensive. Luna makes them and sells the most. an expensive Kanilea tattoo is uncommonly purchased. Didn't even know K made one until this week, but it sure looks like a Luna. Looks laminate, but its a K. Few would buy it (new or used) when, for the same price, one could have a gorgeous gloss and let the wood speak for itself. The resale on one used, as reflected in your survey, would be atrocious, so it's a lifelong keeper (like a real tattoo) for any owner.

Just one theory on why the tattooed uke scored so low in your survey.

Think I understand where you're coming from Cool but don't necessarily agree. Personally, I think the fundamental question is satin or gloss. The tattoo is an embellishment, a decoration, just like it is on a person. It's a separate question, not a finish. That's why I didn't pick tattoo. If you want the tattoo, get the tattoo but be aware of and like the finish on the rest of the uke.

coolkayaker1
10-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Good point, patfia.

mm stan
10-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Get one of each....and keep the best and sell the other two...hee hee seriously, sorry you cannot try before buy....
Everyone has their own preferences and reasons....we just cannot tell you...it's individual taste...hell we don't even know you..Ha Ha

000Kanaka000
10-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Out of my 4 Ukes 3 are satin finish but i prefer the gloss.
The one i am waiting for will definitely be gloss.
Unfortunately it's a long long wait ahead of me.
Really it's a personal preference type of thing.

haole
10-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Kanile'a has one of the prettiest gloss finishes ever. If I were buying a Kanile'a it would have to be gloss. But in general I much prefer the feel of satin.

BassGuyukin'
10-27-2012, 11:28 AM
I love the look of the gloss, it just simply makes the wood look better. Plus I like the smooth feel. However the satin is very comfortable and never "sticky" or wet from sweat. However I think the tattoos look bad and cheap. They make a nice uke like a Kanile'a look like a $150 import.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Who cares what we like. Which do YOU like???

Don't buy a Ferrari to impress your friends.

sukie
10-30-2012, 11:34 AM
I've got to add my vote for the tattoo. I'd be making them if Joe hadn't beaten me to it. Although I've never played one it's outstanding, unique look.

But, but, but.....your ukuleles are so...glossy. And drop-dead gorgeous!

I vote gloss finish.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-30-2012, 11:35 AM

Shoot, I wonder if I can still return it.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-30-2012, 11:36 AM

The Big Kahuna
10-30-2012, 11:41 AM
I love the gloss finish on my Kanile'a, but I think it depends on the wood. It looks great with the premium Koa, but I think satin would be better on "plainer" grain.

Ipsofacto
10-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I seem to be one of the few voting for Tattoo hahah!

fxrskrsa
10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
I like the way the gloss finish ukuleles age... the dinks and knocks do show.. but they add to the 'story' of the instrument.. so its definitely gloss for me

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
10-30-2012, 11:57 AM

hahaha- A man with a moustache can do anything- like Magnum,.......... who drove a Ferrari !- must be a Hawaiian thing?

If you like gloss, one must also like scratches n scuffs, no belt buckles n buttons, and play like a man with hands made of muffins.

The Big Kahuna
10-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Gloss is great for playing without a strap. It just seems to stick to the inside of your forearm better than satin. Unless you don't sweat. In which case, you either live in England in the winter or you're dead. Either way, you probably won't have much use for an Ukulele.

OldePhart
10-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Who cares what we like. Which do YOU like???

Very well said!

Most of my friends wouldn't be impressed with a Ferrari - a monster truck, now that would impress them! :biglaugh: