• Satin

Votes: 31 36.0%
  • Gloss

Votes: 46 53.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quenelle77

Reaction score
Hello guys, I just wanted to know which finition do you like the most on a Kanile'a Tenor?

I will get one soon and I really cant decide between those 3, because the sound is the same (correct me if I'm wrong).

Which one will last the most? I've heard Gloss finition is more durable than satin, but I dont know if thats true etc ..

Some pictures of those finitions:
Tattoo: http://www.exquisite.fr/img/p/414-733-thickbox.jpg
Satin: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sSYtSeA3O4w/Tj0VpwcMZJI/AAAAAAAAAoQ/_xAbKypBBfU/s1600/DSC_5735.JPG
Gloss: http://www.ukulele.fr/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13972.0;attach=10088;image

Thanks all

I am a satin man.

When it comes to Kanilea, I really prefer their gloss, as the UV finish is beautiful.

I have both satin and gloss, and both are beautiful in different ways, but in my heart I prefer satin.

I'll vote if you agree to abide by the results, even if the final vote is for a finish other than the one you want. :)

But seriously, I really think that nobody but you can decide which one is the most aesthetically pleasing to you. If your decision is based solely on the plusses and minuses of the different finishes, then it would be helpful to know what those plusses and minuses are. I don't know if this is true for Kanile'a, but I've heard that gloss shows fingerprints more, and there have been intermittent discussions at UU about whether gloss on the soundboard mutes the sound. I would also guess that gloss would protect the soundboard better from strumming scratches. Kanile'a's gloss is somewhat unique, and I've heard people say that if you're going to get a Kanile'a, you should get the gloss because it's so special and it's one of the selling points of Kanile'as. My hope would be that people don't just say "I like satin" or "I like gloss" but instead actually share their experiences with satin in gloss concerning such issues as wear, sound, maintenance, etc.

For what it's worth, I think both the satin and gloss look terrific. I'm not a big fan of the tattoo.

Last edited:
I prefer satin finishes. I have spent hours on some of my guitars to get that high gloss poly finish done to a nice (richer looking in my opinion) satin finish.

Personal i dont like gloss finish. IT looks great and has a stunning 3d effect, especially on curly Koa. But I dont like the feeling! Too cold, too much external material between my fingers and the wood. Also i dont like fingerprints. And little scratches look much worse on gloss. All just imho.

So for me: Satin. For the feeling.

Tatoo or Not? You have to know what looks better in your eyes. I just bought a Tatoo since it just amazed me when i happened to play one live. It looks and feels very high class. Simply fell in Love with.

Satin plain also looks great, but the Tatoo gives it a spezial and extraordinary note...

Last edited:
Tattoo........

Last edited:
I'm not a big finish guy but I have to admit that Kanilea does gloss about as well as anybody. That said, I'd probably still end up with satin; it doesn't show the fingerprints and dings anywhere near as much as gloss does and I play my ukes so they are going to get a little of each with time.

John

I love Kanile'a gloss!!

When it comes to Kanilea, I really prefer their gloss, as the UV finish is beautiful.

:agree: Kanilea concert uv finish at the top of my uke list.

I agree with gloss! While satin is really nice and natural...the instrument can be subjected to more environmental issues...which leads to storage...and how one stores their ukulele! The interesting thing is that most, if not all instruments are only finished on the outside...so the interior is still subject to more environmental stuff...but you cannot really touch in there anyways...kind of like furniture...so <shrug> go with what you like...buy a bowl/calabash if it is just there to look at, imho!

Satin is the best for a good vibrating sound uke

I love my gloss Kanile'a, and I rarely see fingerprints on the surface. If you see any, they easily wipe away. The finish is rich and strong at the same time. I haven't noticed any scratches from playing, and it has gotten pretty good use for 2 and a half years +. It's a pleasure to play.

–Lori

Top Bottom