Still weathering the storm

Pippin

Reaction score
I am still at Delray Beach and right now, the wind is not as bad as last night. We still have LOTS of gray sky and wind, but not 50 or 60MPH predicted and I am not disappointed.

I have been playing ukulele a bit but have not had a chance to record anything due to some intermittant rain and enough noise from the wind to make me think better of it... and I came down with an head-cold. I hope to knock it out soon. I've pumped myself full of Airborne and Zicam and applecidar vinegar and water (for the throat).

I'll be headed for Columbus on Tuesday and will be very disappointed if I cannot record at all on this trip. :(

You could record "Stormy" or "Against The Wind," on Delray Beach and consider the wind noise a sound effect. My parents live in nearby Boynton Beach and have hunkered down, but it sounds like the storm is going to track further offshore than originally feared. Stay safe!

You'll just have to record twice as much at the UWC in June.

I really want to be there this year. I hope everything falls into place and I can. I have my video camera, Rode mic, and deadcat (fuzzy mic cover)... and a beautiful Mainland Bari.

I brought the baritone down here to Florida with me and hope to record with it while I am here. I love that SWEET mellow tone. I might be able to record a little bit tomorrow morning, but, I might not be able to sing unless the head-cold improves.

Wind seems to be dying down a bit.
i went out and came back dragging a Kala U-bass home.

Wind seems to be dying down a bit.
i went out and came back dragging a Kala U-bass home.

Wow, those are pretty high winds when a U-bass just blows into your hands like that... :)

Kind of nasty down here, had to cancel our Church October Fest Thursday Tonight. Hope we can recover on Saturday and Sunday. Good luck on your trip, hope it's a safe one.

No i had to chase it down. hahahahahahah
and for the rest yes just got a U-Bass.
if the fingers hold out will eventually learn
to play it.

One tip for tuning (which you will need to do VERY frequently for several weeks assuming it has the big rubbery black strings on it) - turn the tuner knob a couple of turns, then lift the string out of the nut and set it back down. This seems especially important on the two thickest strings - they just don't like to move through the nut well at all. Lifting the string slightly lets the tension balance on each side of the nut.

Another thing is that you will eventually end up to the point where the excess string wrapped around the post is actually binding and people have broken the plastic tuners trying to tighten further. When the tuners begin binding you need to take the string out of the tuner and pull up the slack so you are back to about one turn around the tuner. It seems like the strings will never settle in but they eventually do. Mine will hold a tune through a complete set now with no trouble and only needs to be tweaked a little after sitting for several days.

John

What great information to know, thank you for passing that along.
Am having a great time with it already - figuring out how to play it is
coming along much quicker than i thought it would. It's starting to
make sense. Now see if i can sleep without dreaming of playing the
bass. hahahahahaah More than likely will be up with it in the middle
of the night then will go back to sleep.

One tip for tuning (which you will need to do VERY frequently for several weeks assuming it has the big rubbery black strings on it) - turn the tuner knob a couple of turns, then lift the string out of the nut and set it back down. This seems especially important on the two thickest strings - they just don't like to move through the nut well at all. Lifting the string slightly lets the tension balance on each side of the nut.

Another thing is that you will eventually end up to the point where the excess string wrapped around the post is actually binding and people have broken the plastic tuners trying to tighten further. When the tuners begin binding you need to take the string out of the tuner and pull up the slack so you are back to about one turn around the tuner. It seems like the strings will never settle in but they eventually do. Mine will hold a tune through a complete set now with no trouble and only needs to be tweaked a little after sitting for several days.

John

Ahhh Mickey...You are talking about your vacation...I went diredtly to this thread...i was worried it was your health....glad it turned out fine healthwise...MM

Ahhh Mickey...You are talking about your vacation...I went diredtly to this thread...i was worried it was your health....glad it turned out fine healthwise...MM

Stan, I have a lingering head-cold, but otherwise, I am good.

back home again

My wife and I rolled into Columbus, Ohio on the 30th of October at 11:30 PM. We unpacked the car and poured ourselves into bed after a light snack.

Next day, my son shows up with his girl friend. So, we talked about our trip home and his trip over from North Carolina.

We did not have any great music recording opportunities, but, we have lots of storm footage and shots of the resort-- in spite of the storm.

Seeing my son was great. He is now a CIVILIAN again! Seven years in the army are over. He signed for one year in the guard. He will serve that starting in January.

Now, I have to put together the next issue of Ukulele Player.

Top Bottom