What size of Ukulele do you play?

Lardy Fatboy

Reaction score
Being a bit neerdy I have been reading back issues of the US Music Trade Journal and I found this article from one published in 1926

National Association of Musical Instrument and
Accessories Manufacturers Makes Important
Move at Buffalo Convention

BUFFALO, N. Y., October 4.—At their meeting held here last week, the members of the National Association of Musical Instrument and Accessories Manufacturers, after due deliberation, adopted a standard string length for ukuleles, that is, the distance from nut to bolt in accordance with the recommendation of the special committee on ukulele standardization, of which W. 1. Kirk is chairman and Messrs. Kordick and Walter Schmidt are the other members. These standards are: String length from thirteen inches to thirteen and three-quarter inches to be known as standard size ukuleles; string length from thirteen and three-quarter inches to fourteen and one-half inches to be known as concert size ukuleles, and string, length from fourteen and one-half inches to fifteen and three-quarter inches to be known as tenor size ukuleles. All ukuleles which fall in the above classes must have at least twelve frets. The use of the curved or flat back and the naming of the kind of wood used are left to the discretion of the manufacturers.

So now you know But I'm open to names for any Ukuleles with and string length bigger than fifteen and three-quarter inches that aren't Baritones, as I have a few?

Attachments

• Ukulele Size.JPG
    Ukulele Size.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
no mention of alto either...

lol :p

Do you mean something like a banjo ukulele tuned DGBE or CGCE with a 19.5" from nut to bolt? Or perhaps a balalaika with four strings tuned GCEA at 17.5 ? It has been named as a uke-a-like-a (ukalaika)

I read somewhere that concert was supposed to be the "classier" size, and so they missed out "alto" in favour of something that might attract more sales. I prefer "alto" myself. I'd hate for anyone to think I was trying to be classy.

No I mean any of my, what is now called Tenor, Ukuleles with a scale length of around 17 inches?

I've measured mine and I have several that are non-compliant! My 1920's banjo uke has a scale of less than 13". My concert has a 15" scale. My tenor has a 17" scale. My baritone has a 19" scale, and my sopranino has an 11.6" scale.

I don't think baritones were invented in 1926, so it might be OK. They do not mention sopranino's so hopefully that one is OK. The sopranino really worries me since I built it myself and I'd hate to get hauled into court over it. Just yesterday I cut a fretboard with only 8 slots (long story). So I am pretty much in trouble at this point.

It would be interesting to know why, but the association seems to have adopted the convention of using "concert" instead of "alto."

Yeah I always think of concert as alto too. Could the "concert" name be because of concert guitars?

I just want to know how you play a Cock Harmonica

Born and raised in Buffalo, NY and I play a tenor the most, although I have 3 sizes...don't go for baritone, I play parlor size guitar instead

Top Bottom