String Talk...

pakhan

Reaction score
Hi folks,

with a number of ukes, I am looking for a cost effective solution for strings, I usually use Aquilla nylguts or Worth FCs but was wondering abut the other brands, I've heard quite good things about Hilo strings- would appreciate your opinions!

Warmest regards,
Terence

Don't stint on strings! Seriously, strings often make the difference between a good sounding uke and a great one, or between a tolerable uke and a good one!

Look at it this way, you probably paid anywhere between a couple of hundred and a couple of thousand dollars for each uke, do you want to save a few pennies on strings?

Also, having a number of ukes means you are presumably sharing the play time among them so they don't need string changes as often as would a single uke that gets hammered daily. So, any savings you would get from using cheap strings is going to probably not be all that significant.

I have found that different ukes like different strings. I'm not a big fan of Aquila Nylgut strings but I've got one uke that they are great on. I've got "homebrewed" Fluorocarbon sets on most of my other ukes, but I discovered that my mango tenor just loves Ko'Olau Gold strings. In fact, I just ordered some new strings for it from HMS and added a soprano and concert set to the order because I want to try them on my Koa longneck soprano and mango soprano.

John

Fremont strings are good on some ukes
My Kamaka likes the Fremont strings but my Collings ukes sound better with Worth strings.

Economical Strings

Have you ever considered becoming a string seller?
Who makes the black strings GHS or Hilo? Black on black is not my favorite combination for strings and ebony fretboards.
Shall I send you a P/M to tell you what it takes to be an Aquila string wholesale buyer?

Don't stint on strings! Seriously, strings often make the difference between a good sounding uke and a great one, or between a tolerable uke and a good one!

Look at it this way, you probably paid anywhere between a couple of hundred and a couple of thousand dollars for each uke, do you want to save a few pennies on strings?

Also, having a number of ukes means you are presumably sharing the play time among them so they don't need string changes as often as would a single uke that gets hammered daily. So, any savings you would get from using cheap strings is going to probably not be all that significant.

I have found that different ukes like different strings. I'm not a big fan of Aquila Nylgut strings but I've got one uke that they are great on. I've got "homebrewed" Fluorocarbon sets on most of my other ukes, but I discovered that my mango tenor just loves Ko'Olau Gold strings. In fact, I just ordered some new strings for it from HMS and added a soprano and concert set to the order because I want to try them on my Koa longneck soprano and mango soprano.

Johhttp://youtu.be/RvuyzTiqNOn

As the man said.

I started out with Aquilas and certainly they made a big difference with my first cheapo uke. However, I have gradually changed them on all but one uke which seems to suite the Aquilas very well. Otherwise I have changed to either Living Water or Worth Clears. I find both equally good, though I will probably go with Living Water in future as Ken is UK based. I have Worth Browns on one uke and I am not very happy with them. I wasn't very happy with Aquilas on that uke either so I suspect it's the uke not the strings in that particular case. I just feel the sound has a hard edge which I'm not keen on.

Bulk buy may be the way forward, as a string seller, maybe there are a lot of folks already! PM sent.

I had Worth Clears on my KoAloha for over 2 and a half years! They sounded fine, but I wanted to oil the fretboard so I switched them out. The new ones do sound a bit better, but the older ones had that "warm" tone.

OOo. Ooo.

I use Hilos, and even put a GCEA set on a Bruko baritone last night. Just last night!! I also use a set on my Pohaku custom.

I think Hilos are completely, and I mean completely, underrated. I have used them all-- KooLau Gold, all Worths, Southcoasts (which tend to be the ones I use most), Fremonts, etc.--and as John says, it's very uke dependent. That said, I find the Hilos to be a sweet spot between the thicker, gentler and quieter nylons, and the stiffer, sharper, louder Fluorocarbons. Hilos are some form of proprietary nylon that is relatively thinner.

I think Hilos are lumped unfairly with strings such as GHS, which they are not. Also, I think they take it on the chin because they are less expensive than many other strings. That said, in a blind sound test, or a blind feel test for that matter (on the fingers), I'd wager Hilos would come out near the top--or at the top. There, I said it.

Hilos are, like Vinny Barbarino's leisure suit, so uncool that they are ultracool, if you get my drift.

Last edited:
You might try using the archives, there are certainly hundreds and maybe thousands of posts discussing the merits of various strings on various ukes. FWIW I love Fremont Blacks, Worth Browns and Orcas but I play mostly vintage ukes. ciao baby, g

OOo. Ooo.

I think Hilos are completely, and I mean completely, underrated. I have used them all-- KooLau Gold, all Worths, Southcoasts (which tend to be the ones I use most), Fremonts, etc.--and as John says, it's very uke dependent. That said, I find the Hilos to be a sweet spot between the thicker, gentler and quieter nylons, and the stiffer, sharper, louder Fluorocarbons. Hilos are some form of proprietary nylon that is relatively thinner.

I think Hilos are lumped unfairly with strings such as GHS, which they are not. Also, I think they take it on the chin because they are less expensive than many other strings. That said, in a blind sound test, or a blind feel test for that matter (on the fingers), I'd wager Hilos would come out near the top--or at the top. There, I said it.

Hilos are, like Vinny Barbarino's leisure suit, so uncool that they are ultracool, if you get my drift.

Thanks for the feedback. My experience is also really uke dependent although so far my favorites are aquillas and worths. Will definitely try out hilos and see.

Hi folks,

with a number of ukes, I am looking for a cost effective solution for strings, I usually use Aquilla nylguts or Worth FCs but was wondering abut the other brands, I've heard quite good things about Hilo strings- would appreciate your opinions!

Warmest regards,
Terence

Check out the Uke Strings thread . . .

I'm a big fan of Aquila nylgut strings BUT my Lanikai SCECGC sounds much better with Fremont Black Lines.

Buy strings for sound quality. The difference in sound quality between cheap strings and nice ones is staggering. If you buy a cheap uke with cheap strings, just swapping out the strings with a nice set can go a long way in improving its sound (and intonation).

Top Bottom