Danish Ash in trouble

Timbuck

Reaction score
Ash is not a good tonewood, but it is superior for firewood as it burns hot. I have several on my property, but they won't be around very much longer. Millions of ash trees in the U.S. are threatened by the emerald ash borer, an Asian invader that is spreading slowly but surely throughout the Northeast. They will soon follow the Chestnut and Dutch Elm into near extinction.

Actually, Ash is used for electic guitar bodies with exellent results. I wouldn't use it for a uke unless that was all I had.

I made a fine soprano of ash for a fine couple when they got married. It was rather peculiar in the grain, not straight and boring as ash can be when it's... straight and boring.

Can't find much about it on my blog, but here's one post:
http://www.argapa.blogspot.se/2010/08/new-soprano.html

And here's the presentation (gah I had a beard then!)

Saw it the other day, sounds even better now.

Sven

I made a fine soprano of ash for a fine couple when they got married. It was rather peculiar in the grain, not straight and boring as ash can be when it's... straight and boring.

Can't find much about it on my blog, but here's one post:
http://www.argapa.blogspot.se/2010/08/new-soprano.html

Sven - very nice build and I love the heart-shaped sound hole!

And here's the presentation (gah I had a beard then!)

Saw it the other day, sounds even better now.

Sven

Sven - Very nice build! I love the heart-shaped soundhole! I'm building a uke for my step-daughter and her husband right now and that is an inspiration!

Sven..Keep building e'm..there 's a lot of Ash trees going to come down in the UK as well so I might have a go at one, maybe a solid body Tenor ..thats if I live long enough for the wood to dry out :)..An expert on the radio today was talking about the Ash tree and he say's "It's Bark is worse than it's Blight":smileybounce:

The Emerald Ash Borer is serious stuff, they have been spreading through the mid-west and there doesn't seem to be any stopping them. Once ash trees start to get big, the ash borer bleeds them to death. People are actively discouraged from transporting firewood; (ie moving the eggs and larvae around to new areas.)

On a postive note, there is some hope for the Dutch Elm and American Chestnut, experts have been working on growing blight resistant trees with some encouraging results.

My Ash tree, 12 months ago:

tree1.jpg

What I did to it:

tree2.jpgtree3.jpg

Why I did that to it:

tree4.jpgtree5.jpg

The entire middle part of the stump in the last picture, I lifted out and crumbled into powder. My house faces south across fields which slope up from the SE. You wouldn't believe the wind that accelerates up the hill before hitting us. I think we were very lucky not to wake up one morning with a tree in the bedroom.

This is what happens when that wind gets a little bit cold:

5222696285_dd6f9435a9_b.jpg

Top Bottom