Replacing Friction Tuners

uke_rob

Reaction score
Hi,

I found an old 'Lark' ukulele in my loft last week and thought I'd try and get it up to playing condition.
When I found it the bridge was off and the strings were obviously all over the place. One of the tuning pegs had broken so they need replacing.

Since then I've cleaned the uke up and fitted the bridge again (correctly I hope) I've brought some replacement tuners for it.

These were the old tuners

2012-10-27 19.46.35.jpg

These are the cheap and cheerful ones to replace them

2012-10-27 19.41.16.jpg

What I am wondering though, is what do I do with this part ?

2012-10-27 19.51.57.jpg

Is it essential that I fit this, or can I fit without? I did fit them without strings without that spacer thing to see how it'd go and it seemed ok

2012-10-27 19.54.53.jpg 2012-10-27 19.55.14.jpg

I've no experiance with building uke's or fitting parts so I do apologise if this seems a somewhat stupid thread. I also realise the 'Lark' has no value and is also not particularly good, but I just thought I'd get it to a playing state as I feel it justifies that much at least.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Rob,
The extra part is the bushing, it goes on picture 4 under the post.
It has to be counter-bored to fit. It really should be used, I don't think the post on top has enough friction to hold securely, though without the proper tool it is a pain to fit it.

Thanks for your reply David.

You know I was thinking it would have to go into the existing hole the more I kept looking at it, but thought it seemed to big to go in there. The old tuners on picture one, you can still see there is a casing on it. One of these did stay in the holes on the head but I put the old tuner back in a forced it out.

Would keeping the old casing/bushing on be any good? I'm guessing it'd be better to use the parts supplied with the new tuners. What is this piece of kit that forces the bushing in then?

It is a reamer that cuts the hole only so deep, and the diameter for the bushing to have a slight "push fit" so it doesn't turn. It isn't a cheap tool.
Alternately, you could use a flat washer that just fit the post, but wasn't so big, outside diameter, to look odd.

I've done this, very carefully, with a drill, but you need to know what you are doing and be very careful. I used a hand drill (not an electric drill, a human-powered drill). And I went very slowly.

can get real cheap reamers at the hardware stores, just go slowly and check it regularly as once you have gone to far its all over.

Cheers and good luck!

Cliff

Wait....I have used a flat washer to replace that. I didn't want to drill out the hole to fit the bushing and just used stainless steel washers, and it has been working fine for years. I'd give that a try first!

Ryan - How many washers do you need to use for that then out of interest?

I'm not sure I'd trust myself to do this operation. Is there an easier way? E.G maybe a different set of tuners ?

Rob, there is no reason not to do this yourself! Try ONE flat stainless steel washer that fits over the shaft and rests against the bottom of the part that has the hole for the string. That's it, nothing else to it. Take a tuner to the hardware store and it should be very easy. I have done this with MANY vintage ukuleles, since I don't like to alter them and quite frankly, they don't need anything else.

Heck, jump on a plane and come to California, I'll do it for you in 5 minutes!

Thanks Ryan. I will give it a go then with some washers :)

Haha, yes I'd love to come to California! Sounds like a good excuse! :D

Top Bottom