Which Masking Tape?? Help please folks!

lennymac

Reaction score
Hi all, I hope you can help me.

I've recently bought a Kamaka uke which has a beautiful glossy finish. I also have several ukes (and guitars) which have satin finishes. In future I will be using 0000 steel wool and guitar honey to maintain the fret boards and I will want to mask parts of the body and neck so as not to accidentally damage the finish with the steel wool. Now, the question is - what tape should I use for this? I have read some horror stories about lacquer finishes being damaged by tape reacting them and I would be devastated if this happened to me. Can anyone recommend a tape that won't cause me any problems? Bearing in mind it'll only be on the uke for maybe 10/20 mins at the most.

Thanks in advance, and Aloha!

Ross

If you have a lacquer finish, do not use the blue painter's tape. 3M makes a green tape specifically for lacquer. It is more expensive than the blue tape, but the risk of an expensive finish repair is much smaller.

Anyone know what type of gloss finish is used on Mainland Ukes?

Agreed. Blue tape will definitely leave a foot print on lacquer. The green tape by Scotch (3M) has replaced most of the other tapes in my shop. The roll label says "Hard to Stick Surfaces" and I find it useful for gluing on bindings. It also says "Ideal for Lacquer". I buy a half a dozen rolls at a time because my local supplier often runs out. I can't imagine working without it.

I just had a look see on E-bay...and it is very expensive in the UK compared to getting a roll sent over from the US..If i had a 1.5" x 60 yard roll sent from the US it would cost me £11.17 inc postage...If I bought the same roll here in the UK it would cost me £24.28. :(
See here http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...dkw=3M+green+masking+tape&_osacat=0&_from=R40
And the 3M factory is only 11 miles away in Durham County.

Last edited:
I just had a look see on E-bay...and it is very expensive in the UK compared to getting a roll sent over from the US..If i had a 1.5" x 60 yard roll sent from the US it would cost me £11.17 inc postage...If I bought the same roll here in the UK it would cost me £24.28. :(
See here http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...dkw=3M+green+masking+tape&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Cheapest I found was at trade1st.co.uk - it's about a fiver a roll - but the only delivery options is next day at £5. I've just ordered to rolls from them inc/ VAT and delivery it's £16.74 - expensive, but I reckon 2 rolls will last me a few years - I only treat the fretboards a couple of times a year - and I don't want to risk a cheaper alternative which may damage finishes....

You only need be concerned if the finish is oil, nitro lacquer or shellac. The words gloss or satin are not finishes, only a discription of the finish. If your ukes or guitars are coming out of China, they are probably poly or urethane finishes and then the kind of tape doesn't matter.

As usual this product is unavailable from 3M in the UK as are many otherUS staple consummables! Thanks for the UK link - at least available from a reseller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom