Ukulele Comparison: Kris Barnett Concert, William King Concert and Kamaka Ohta San

Stevelele

Reaction score
Here is a review I just did of a new ukulele by classical guitar luthier Kris Barnett. I have a tenor on order with Kris. Ever since I made the order, I've gotten to know Kris and have spent some time talking about ukuleles with him.

I invited Kris to my place in NY since he was here on business, so he could play some of my nice ukuleles and so that we could directly compare the sound and quality of some of my best with what he had to offer (the one I am showing is not mine--it's available for purchase). Here is my review/comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdQHTCLwTk

Last edited:
Nice...it would sound better with a digital recorder. I would love to hear some of these ukes on soundcloud.

I'm not an expert but I bought a Zoom H2N on bhphotovideo.com and they have a $30 rebate right now so only $115-$125. Since you live in NY, you can check it out directly. I wish I bought the H4N as that has an XLR input for mics, but that's $260 so decided to save the money to buy an attenuation cable, windscreen, remote, etc. I plan to also use it connected to my DSLR.

You have some nice ukes and I really want to hear them!!

Here's a sample of the H2N on soundcloud for my Donaldson and LFDM. http://soundcloud.com/nongdam

Great sounding uke! I had bid on Kris' Uke #2 which was listed on eBay back in August, but didn't win. It had the raised fingerboard and a unique tailpiece with floating bridge. What is your approximate completion date for your tenor?

I agree what nongdam said, either H2n or H4n should give a better and real sound of these ukes. But good reviews, thanks!

I'll see about getting a better recorder--sorry for hijacking my own thread! Getting back to the actual topic I started, if anyone has any questions about these ukes, let me know!

I agree what nongdam said, either H2n or H4n should give a better and real sound of these ukes. But good reviews, thanks!

Hi Slackkey, I tried to write to you but your inbox is full. You should feel free to write to Kris here if you have any questions: kristopher10@hotmail.com

Great sounding uke! I had bid on Kris' Uke #2 which was listed on eBay back in August, but didn't win. It had the raised fingerboard and a unique tailpiece with floating bridge. What is your approximate completion date for your tenor?

I will agree with the others about the sound quaility being better but the first thing I noticed was that each uke had a different top wood, spruce, cedar and koa. They sounded as I would have expected, the spruce being the brightest, the cedar in the middle and the koa being the most mellow. Thanks for your efforts.

Top Bottom