@8&%$O## youtube yanked me ( and its not as much fun as it sounds...)

eor

Reaction score
hey

you tube yanked my supertramp school video and gave me a strike.

because of these guys. "Evergreen Social Media Associates"

man It may have been amaturish but i worked hard on it and it was one of my favorites.

I hate it when that happens......
had to vent , thanks

see ya

eor

After Googling, it looks like they're doing this for cover versions of Supertramp songs, not just videos where someone used the original recording. Despite both the songwriters from Supertramp saying they don't know who Evergreen Social Media Associates is. So I took down the two Supertramp covers I posted in August. I'm also scrapping a planned altnernate set of lyrics I had put together for Breakfast in America.

It's stinks... When will these music bus types realise that a cover version by someone not making money might,must might, make a listener check out and BUY the original. Their logic is beyond me..

It's stinks... When will these music bus types realise that a cover version by someone not making money might,must might, make a listener check out and BUY the original. Their logic is beyond me..

Never thought of it like that, very good point baz

I've had some "warnings" for a couple of my videos and as you all know, I covered every song in The Daily Ukulele, so I think I've gotten off lightly *touch wood*. It does stink though, sorry to hear about it!

After Googling, it looks like they're doing this for cover versions of Supertramp songs, not just videos where someone used the original recording. Despite both the songwriters from Supertramp saying they don't know who Evergreen Social Media Associates is. So I took down the two Supertramp covers I posted in August. I'm also scrapping a planned altnernate set of lyrics I had put together for Breakfast in America.

Not that it would be any fun to get into a protracted legal battle with YouTube, but your use of a copyrighted melody might be protected as "fair use" if your lyrics parody the original work. (Think Weird Al Yankovich.)

I actually read that even Weird Al obtains licensing (likely for a payment) for all the songs he does (I know, it's different, since he is selling the songs). There is a notable case--I forget now what performer it was--who flatly objected to his doing the song he wanted to do. He even showed them the lyrics, and they were tame, but the artist and/or the management co. said, "Nope", so he didn;t record it.

Bazmaz, as usual, is right. Jimi Hendrix estate did this to Craig Chee, just when I was going to buy the original Hendrix CD from iTunes. I'll let you guess if I bought the Hendrix original or not after Craig got yanked by the "Jimi Hendrix Estate, LLC".

Last edited:
Weird Al gets permission because he doesn't usually directly parody the song or the artist. The case when it blew up. Coolio's record company said yes to Amish Paradise, Coolio didn't like it. Coolio could do nothing about it, so it got a little nasty. Since then Weird Al always asks the artist too.

Of course, one of the main problems is that, due to how the record industry works, the artists are generally powerless, and the rights are just assets to the record companies. The artists are generally alright with amateur cover versions, but that doesn't matter if the group of shysters who actually own the rights disagrees.

I actually read that even Weird Al obtains licensing (likely for a payment) for all the songs he does (I know, it's different, since he is selling the songs). There is a notable case--I forget now what performer it was--who flatly objected to his doing the song he wanted to do. He even showed them the lyrics, and they were tame, but the artist and/or the management co. said, "Nope", so he didn;t record it.

Wasn't it the parody of Wings' "Live and Let Die" (i.e.: "Chicken Pot Pie") that was the issue?

Top Bottom