What wood is this?

JayParekh

Reaction score
Hello, just wondering what wood this is and if it is suitable for a ukulele.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• wood 2.jpg
    wood 2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 157
  • wood 3.jpg
    wood 3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 136
  • wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 132
It's not Koa or bubinga, if that helps narrow it down.

What is that, your headboard or something?

i have no clue.. post some better pics and maybe a scratch and sniff.. i cant tell

Maybe some of it's history would help? like, where (what country? Local? etc?) How did you acquire it? What do you think it is?

It looks a little like Blue Gum.

Is it hard? or soft? What does it do when you press a fingernail into it?

You might want to give us a clear picture of the end of the board.

+1 for someone who just took some pictures of an old shelf he found in his garage.

Maybe some of it's history would help? like, where (what country? Local? etc?) How did you acquire it? What do you think it is?

It looks a little like Blue Gum.

Is it hard? or soft? What does it do when you press a fingernail into it?

Acquired: Found in conservatory
My opinion: Teak? :confused:

Hard, it doesn't do anything if I press a fingernail to it.

it's fimo clay! the new building material for the discerning...

Asking for a definitive identification of some fairly non-figured, boring wood on the internet is like asking for a diagnosis for a severe headache on a chat site. Might be a brain tumor, for all I know; on the other hand, it could just be a migrane; or you hit your head with a hammer... Is there some reason you don't want to take it to a local wood expert? Even then it can be nigh onto impossible. I have Madagascar rosewood here that looks and smells exactly like Brazilian. I just stained some myrtle to look exactly like figured koa. I have khaya that looks just like Honduras mahogany. I have California sycamore that looks like leopard skin.

Asking for a definitive identification of some fairly non-figured, boring wood on the internet is like asking for a diagnosis for a severe headache on a chat site. Might be a brain tumor, for all I know; on the other hand, it could just be a migrane; or you hit your head with a hammer... Is there some reason you don't want to take it to a local wood expert? Even then it can be nigh onto impossible. I have Madagascar rosewood here that looks and smells exactly like Brazilian. I just stained some myrtle to look exactly like figured koa. I have khaya that looks just like Honduras mahogany. I have California sycamore that looks like leopard skin.

I have a girlfriend that looks like Chewbacca. Hard to tell whats what these days!

Top Bottom