What do you think of my first music video?

ahreeka

Reaction score
I haven't posted in here for awhile, but I used to post tabs (look for threads/posts by me to find them! Such as Aldrine's "Ukulele Waltz"). Anyways, my friend just asked me to make a music video for him. I don't have real experience so I consider this my very first video to be seen by the public. Every thing else was just practice but that was YEARS ago.

Equipment used: Canon 60D and edited in Sony Vegas Pro 11

Let me know what you guys think! Also share the music and video also if you like it! He's an up and coming Filipino rapper here in San Diego.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoFz5MtRGKQ
Like/Favorite/Subscribed to him too!

If this video gets good reviews, I just might find a new hobby and make other music videos whether it's like this or ukulele stuff. I'm more a photographer and own a Canon 40D. The Canon 60D is actually my girlfriend's lol

i think it's nice.

I thought it was really well done for a hobbyist video. Good cinematography, minimalist, I could actually see something like that airing on MTV or whatever.

Your approach seemed to fit well with the subject matter, although I have to admit I don't really like rap.

I thought it was really well done for a hobbyist video. Good cinematography, minimalist, I could actually see something like that airing on MTV or whatever.

Your approach seemed to fit well with the subject matter, although I have to admit I don't really like rap.

Haha I'm not a big fan of rap either! That was the challenge for me when he asked me but I looked into my inner "thug" lol (I play the uke for crying out loud!) I think my background in photography helped quite a bit. That's why he asked me in the first place because he thought I had an eye. I guess I could thank the ukulele because of how I can sometimes feel the music thus I tried to make the audience feel the beat of the music video.

Anyways, I was told that I should do more. But I don't know. I just did this because I thought I could contribute something good and apparently it did. Thanks for the input guys. I still think it could be better.

Ever since I made the video, I never watched so many hip hop music videos in my life in 2 days!!

Last edited:
I just finished my second video. Another no budget music video that I'm thankful the artists are able to put up with hehe. This one features another artist so I had a little more pressure than the first one. I appreciate more critiques!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5hISoO4Mbg
Like, Share, Subscribe!

For the photo and video people, equipment used was a Canon 60D, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, and a very homemade "dolly".

I think maybe you've found your calling. :p

You've expanded the scenarios a lot, and I think the editing you've done works really well. Hard to believe you're doing all this on a shoestring budget. Record labels pay big bucks for talent like yours.

Many years ago I was working at a major label. You can well imagine that there were always wannabes who'd take any job at a record company just to get their foot in the door while waiting for their big break.

Once a new kid in the mailroom told me he had moved to L.A. because he wanted to make music videos. Fast forward a few years (long after I was out of the biz) and I found out he'd become one of the most sought after directors/producers/editors out there, working with big names like David Bowie, Phil Collins and even Michael Jackson. :cool:

I think maybe you've found your calling. :p

Wow do you really think so!? haha no one's said those exact words thank you so much. I do get intimidated by the pressure especially working with someone I don't really know. The artist "Sizzle" was first a friend but have gotten tighter and I was able to think more freely without the added pressure. Same thing when I do photography though. I don't really shoot portraits and just recently I started it. Money is the last thing on my mind (but would help for making photos/videos, haha). I really don't want to give a bogus product when I'm being paid. At least if they don't like it, it was free lol.. but I'm working on it.

You've expanded the scenarios a lot, and I think the editing you've done works really well. Hard to believe you're doing all this on a shoestring budget. Record labels pay big bucks for talent like yours.

Yes very ugly setup I used haha. I used a tripod, mounted two legs on a longboard, rode it on cardboard not that much haha. First video I was unprepared not knowing what to do to shoot a music video.

Many years ago I was working at a major label. You can well imagine that there were always wannabes who'd take any job at a record company just to get their foot in the door while waiting for their big break.

Once a new kid in the mailroom told me he had moved to L.A. because he wanted to make music videos. Fast forward a few years (long after I was out of the biz) and I found out he'd become one of the most sought after directors/producers/editors out there, working with big names like David Bowie, Phil Collins and even Michael Jackson. :cool:

That's amazing to hear. Who knows maybe I'd do that one day haha. Your words are very much appreciated!

Last edited:
What I meant was your first video was shot entirely in/around a basketball court.

The second features numerous and varied scenes around San Diego.

Oh right! Very true about the first video haha. For the second I wanted a place for both but as well for their solos.

I just got told that the two artists want me to go with them tonight around 10pm PST on World Tuned Radio to help promote. Again, never done this before. I'm nervous as hell. For one, it's live. Second, people might call in. Third, the words that come out of my mouth might just come out all wrong haha.

Being it my first time for almost whatever I'm doing now. With others, I'd personally would like to give thanks to you itsme live on air (if it comes out my mouth right), despite us just being regular people on an ukulele forum ;) but also everyone on here that gave feedback and also other forums I posted this on.

Last edited:
Just an update, the interview went okay on my part being it my first time haha. Definitely some things I could have done better: talk closer to the mic and don't stall while talking. All in all, I think it was a good look for the the "My Moment" video but also for the artists that strive to make good music. The producer that arranged the song was happy to be seen in the clip and told me that he is very impressed with the work. He said that he is very critical when watching music videos but liked mine and noted how hard it usually is to record at night but I did it justice. At first I didn't believe him, until I realized on his Facebook page that he doesn't have a music video other than mine haha - definitely good exposure!!

He also said I might be able to help him with another artist he's working with, this time an R&B artist. I'm very new to this whole thing, so when he asked how much I charge I just said that if we are on the same page we could make something happen. I also let him know my experience and equipment I use and how this is new to me.

Then I got people saying that amateurs shouldn't pretend to be professional. In my head I'm thinking, people go to school sometimes to find a hobby, or to know more about one. What difference does it make if someone doesn't go to school for it, but instead is self-taught? I understand that being properly trained is almost the secure way to do things, especially if the instructor has background in working with major projects.

Top Bottom