Second Uke coming for second player! (wife)

Caddy65

Reaction score
Years ago my wife wanted me to teach her to play guitar so I bought her a nice 3/4 sized acoustic. She was busy with other things at the time and between that and getting sore fingers from the steel strings, she never did learn to play. She has mentioned it again recently, but we never followed through.

I got my first uke late last week and she really liked it. I asked her if she would like to learn to play and she said she would. That evening I taught her a few chords on mine and she seemed to catch on fairly quickly. She likes the small size of these (mine is a concert size) and the nylon strings. Having just four strings was also easier for her.

This morning I was looking on Amazon at reviews and uke stuff and came across a great deal. A Lanikai LU-21 with a poly foam case for under $39 and with free shipping. I looked at the case separately and it was $31. :D

So now she will have her own soprano uke to learn with. Mine is a Lanikai LU-21C, which I am very happy with and can't seem to put down for more than a few minutes. It did need a little minor setup work when I got it, which I finally did yesterday. (had trouble putting it down long enough to do it). :eek:

So tomorrow we will be a two uke family! Now she can be my uke partner, in addition to being my golf partner. :)

Congratulations to both of you! I hope you post (a) photos of the sibling ukes when hers arrives and (b) a video duet. I'm curious, though, why you guys ordered a soprano for her if she was comfortable with your concert?

She didn't play it long enough to develop a preference, also to have a little tonal variety.
We actually have no means of making videos and I don't care for doing video stuff. Photos I can do.

This morning I was looking on Amazon at reviews and uke stuff and came across a great deal. A Lanikai LU-21 with a poly foam case for under $39 and with free shipping. I looked at the case separately and it was $31. :D
That really is an incredible deal. The Lanikai polyfoam cases are the same as the Uke Crazy ones. I paid I think nearly that with amazon prime for a tenor case alone.

I'm curious, though, why you guys ordered a soprano for her if she was comfortable with your concert?
Maybe because that was the "special deal" or whatever and it wasn't offered in another size? Or maybe so they could both try out each size before they go investing in better ukes?

At any rate, I'm jealous that you and your wife are doing this together. My husband isn't interested in playing, but at least I can be grateful that he is supportive. :)

Yes, I did actually get it largely based on the good deal, and it was only offered on the soprano.

I was on there looking for a case for mine and came across the deal and thought why not get one, then my wife could have her own. I did also order the same case for mine (different size) and it was just a few dollars less that her uke and case combined.

That's a great story. My wife tolerates my uke obsession. I keep telling her we can make beautiful music together, but it's just not her thing...although, I did hear her singing along from the front room the other night. Maybe there is hope!
-joe

Well, the soprano and case arrived this afternoon, along with my case. This uke came needing virtually no setup, action and intonation are very good. Mine needed a little bit, which I did yesterday (just had to lower the nut and saddle a small bit). I am really impressed with these cases, very sturdy and the ukes fit great.

My wife is going to see a couple of the grand kids after work and take them trick-or-treating, so won't be home until later. In the meantime, I will keep playing this new soprano and get the strings stretched out for her. Besides, it's fun to play! I'm anxious for her to begin learning.

Great deal, free shipping and next day delivery. Can't ask for more than that!

Congratulations on the second uke and her interest. My wife and I both play. Our latest duet has been Jackson by Johnny Cash easy to play and we both get singing parts. Loads of fun.

Well, she got home fairly late, but did really like it and practiced a few chords before bed. She really seems to be taking an interest in this. I believe she will be motivated enough to learn to at least strum chords.

Yay! Looking forward to pictures. That is, if you can stop playing long enough to take any!

That could be the hard part. I'm already thinking of taking my uke to the senior center (I'm a member) in town and having a sing-a-long sometime soon. They have a breakfast once a week and sometimes have something going on either before or after. Just old songs everyone would know. Guess I could take requests. Can't believe I've just had my first uke less than a week and already thinking of doing something like that. I'm sure my other instruments must feel neglected!

Top Bottom