Low G

Joe90

Reaction score
Hi guys, im thinking of going low g on my next uke, does this automatically change the way i have to finger chords or will it all be the same apart from the G obviously being an octave lower? I mean i wont have to re learn chords for low g will i?

Thanks joe

You are right.

Same chord shapes; different sounds. No need to wait for a new uke to try out a low G string, either. Have fun!

Hi guys, im thinking of going low g on my next uke, does this automatically change the way i have to finger chords or will it all be the same apart from the G obviously being an octave lower? I mean i wont have to re learn chords for low g will i?

Thanks joe

Chords have the same fingerings by and large BUT a lot of songs that are beyond basic chords/strumming are going to be played different. Every avid uke player should have at least 1 low G uke in his/her collection. As Ralf said, you can put a low G string on any of the ukes you have. There isn't anythign special about the uke itself; it's just the string.

If you are buying a new uke that comes with a low G string, check out the Kamoa. The Kamoa E3-C is a solid maple ukulele that ships low-G and can be found for under $200. I'm astounded at how these sound for less than $200.

I play everything that I can play on re-entrant tuning
on my low G providing I am strumming chords:if I am
fingerpicking a melody then the low G gives me a few
extra low notes.No difference to worry about for usual
playing!

Top Bottom