Heavy Gauge

drbekken

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/BeM03hnU0uc

Here's a video in which I play a very, very cheap Chinese-made soprano ukulele; the 'Vintage' VUK 20 N. It has been strung with Southcoast heavy gauge strings, which brings out an incredible sound. The instrument is a laminate mahogany thing which costs around $25 -30, and it is a perfect beater that you can take anywhere. Mine was decently set up when I took it out of the box, but I lowered the action a little (not much) on the bridge.
Once again, I can't praise sufficiently the quality of these strings. Easily my favorites.

You sound great as always. Those strings sound good too. I looked at the site and it says they dont work well on sopranos. In what key is your uke tuned? Would they work well in "C" ?

You sound great as always. Those strings sound good too. I looked at the site and it says they dont work well on sopranos. In what key is your uke tuned? Would they work well in "C" ?

Tuning here is regular GCEA. I am aware that the tension increases when you put the strings on a short scale like the soprano, but this little cheapo seems able to take it. Sound is great, though. The low-tech camera I've got doesn't quite do it justice, but you get the idea...

Top Bottom