Fingernail filing

kziadie

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have only been playing the ukulele for a couple of months. Although I havent done much fingerpicking to this point, I have been trying to prepare the nails on my right hand so I can be ready when I (hopefully) progress to that point. After reading numerous threads here and at other sites, I have been shaping my nails with a diamond file and then finishing with an Oasis nail shaper.

My nails look good BUT right after a filing/shaping session they make the strings sound very dull, muffled and muted. Much more so than if I were to use the pads of my fingers and it is quite an unpleasant (to me anyway) sound. After a few hours of playing, the sound improves and becomes brighter, sharper and louder.

My best guess is that my process is making the ends of my nails too blunt which then improves through wear to become sharper. Am I doing something wrong or is this to be expected?

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Classical guitar nail techniques should help you out.

–Lori

Thanks for the quick reply... that's a great video. It is very useful to have a visual reference rather than just reading about this stuff.

Thanks for the feedback. It turns out it was the underside of my nails that were the problem. I bought some of those micromesh boards with the black, pink, white and gray sections mounted on on a thin, foamy popsicle stick shaped board and it has really helped. I think it is the same stuff on the Oasis nail shaper but this is the only thing I have tried that is thin and flexible enough to get under my nails. It is not perfect yet, but much improved and I think with a little experimentation I will get there.

My other hobbies, like working on cars, require me to work with my hands quite roughly so I suspect my nails were in worse shape than most.

I use those foam backed Emory boards, but I find I tear through them too often. Any more suggestions for brands?

(Thanks Newportlocal)

Crystal files last a long time, as long as you don't drop them on the floor (they are glass). I have been happy with mine.

–Lori

Crystal files last a long time, as long as you don't drop them on the floor (they are glass).
I can attest to that fact. :eek:

Over time, they get a bit dull, as nail particles get trapped and build up in the rough surface. Soak in warm soapy water, scrub with an old toothbrush and let dry and they'll be like new again. :)

...I have been trying to prepare the nails on my right hand so I can be ready when I (hopefully) progress to that point.
Simple preparation: cut your fingernails to the quick, as short as possible, and play with your fingertips.

Nails are prone to breaking, scoring and damaging strings, getting snagged... no need to use them. Use your fingertips. They're far more expressive and require less maintenance.

My nails are prone to split, especially the middle finger and have been for years, long before I took up uke.

For that reason, I keep my nails very short at all times; both hands. I don't fingerpick much but fingertips works fine for me.

I really enjoy playing with a little bit of nail. I only need about 1/8 of an inch to make a difference. It seems to give a nice clear tone, with more volume than no nail. In the winter, the dry weather can really wreck my nails, but I have finally found the cure (for me anyway).
1. Moisturize nails every evening before bed.
2. Stop doing the dishes without gloves.
3. Apply Nailtiques Formula 2 each week, and keep the nails at about 1/8".

I had tried other nail polishes that were meant to strengthen the nails, but they didn't work.
Hope that helps somebody. I read about the Nailtiques on one of these forums, and I am happy with the results.

–Lori

I just keep my right thumbnail long; fingers on the right hand at kept short. This allows me to have a kind of pick for soloing or riffs, but also allows for more expressive strumming with the index finger. When fingerpicking arpeggios, I'm a two-finger guy - thumb and index - so I try to use the flesh of my thumb to even the tone there. Anyway, I picked this up from Craig Chee, who may or may not still do it this way.

I also use a crystal file, and it has made a world of difference in terms of snags and chips. I don't do anything special to the nail other than file it now and again. No polishes, creams or ointments. It makes itself plenty strong...

And, I've found that thumbnail comes in handy now and again, peeling backings from stickers, opening packages, and what have you.

I spent a Month or so growing my index and thumb nail, I suggest you get prenatal vitamins or hair skin and nails vitamins work too. They helped them grow fast and strong. I filed them for a nice shape and noted them but for a nice and instant comparison I clipped them the last week. Long story short I prefer my index finger shorter than longer, barely longer than fully clipped. My thumb I like a bit longer, it makes my up strokes sound a lot louder and better.

As far as finger picking, even though I'm still a beginner I practice it everyday, and I found even when my nails were long I mostly used my finger tips not nails, it just feels more comfortable for me.

I am actually happy I prefer them a little on the shorter side, longer finger nails get in the way of other hobbies really bad,

My 2 cents
Brandon

Career father
Amatuer disc golfer
Motorcycle mechanic for fun

I think I might have thin or soft nails because the top surface becomes irregular after playing just over a week on the ukulele. does anyone else have this problem, and if so how should I combat it? I don't do dishes so that is a non issue. I will probably try to find a solution at the drug store in the next few days if it ends up not being a temporary issue. I read about the nailtique polish but don't know if this is available where I live. Would regular nail polish work if I reapply regularly when it gets worn off? So far I have been using a nail file to even out the "dent" knowing I can't do this daily I need another solution. Also I have been licking my fingernail to lubricate it before playing since I discovered the issue.
thanks in advance,
ohm

BTW, I am new to having nails so curious if it is something I will just grow out of?

I apologize for my syntax. I have a language issue that can make things confusing and disorganized sometimes.

Last edited:
James Taylor has tutorials on his website teaching his finger picking techniques. I have always loved the way he plays. One of his tutorials was on his nails and he uses press on nails. He went over how to glue them and care for them etc.
Singer/Guitarist Michael Johnson (remember Bluer Than Blue from the late 70's) also uses fake nails. He's classically trained and is an extraordinary guitarist. I have met Michael a couple of times and was able to talk technique with him. Very knowledgeable musician.

great vid. I didn't see the fiberglass nail reinforcement tape at wallgreens so will try a specialty shop when my check comes on the first. thanks for sharing it with me.

Top Bottom