Uke Minutes 29 - Scale Exercise II

Aldrine et al:

So many thanks for the incredible network you've created. I've been lurking for a while now, and with this exercise am forced to finally post a question:

I usually pick with four fingers, one for each string. But in this exercise, you specify using the pointer finger only for the C,E, and A strings. Is there a reason you choose this method? Should I break my habit of pointer finger-C, middle finger-E, ring finger-A?

Or maybe I should stop being lazy and just learn to do it both ways?

Thanks again for all your amazing tutelage!

:worship:

Aldrine et al:

So many thanks for the incredible network you've created. I've been lurking for a while now, and with this exercise am forced to finally post a question:

I usually pick with four fingers, one for each string. But in this exercise, you specify using the pointer finger only for the C,E, and A strings. Is there a reason you choose this method? Should I break my habit of pointer finger-C, middle finger-E, ring finger-A?

Or maybe I should stop being lazy and just learn to do it both ways?

Thanks again for all your amazing tutelage!

:worship:

Thanks for finally coming to the forums! Hahaha

It's good to have all your fingers ready. If you just keep them string-specific, then it doesn't leave you with enough room to be flexible with other techniques and styles. This will also get your fingers loosened up instead of stiffening on the same string.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for these lessons on scales! I noticed something whilst practicing... when I release a finger it rings a note like I'm doing a hammer-off. Which would be cool, except I'm not doing it on purpose! In fact, its become a problem. I can't stop!!

Perhaps I have abnormal finger strength. When Superman plays scales on his ukulele, does he have the same problem? Is there a subtle way to remove a finger w/o activating the string? I tried muting with my right hand but that just gets confusing. Any help would be HOT!

Top Bottom