Songs for a Funeral Service

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Aside Aloha Oe, do you have any good bye songs you recommend to
play at a service...I need to go in a few hours...thank you in advance

hi Stan, sorry to hear of this mate. My suggestion would be "The Water Is Wide".

My family always plays Will The Circle Be Unbroken and God on the Mountain.

Hey Brah,

I did a medely for my mom's memorial service. Some of the songs were:

In Times like These and Precious Lord, Take my Hand. There were one or two
others that I can't think of at the moment.

Oh, Beyond the Sunset was another one.

I'll be praying for you.

I've never tried it on the Uke, but Stings "Fields of Gold" fits the bill.

Mahalo Nui Mandalyn and Unko Rod,

how about a instrumental melody....something sweet and something immediately reconizable

It may seem trite these days, but people often play Bruddah IZ's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World" at memorial services, and it's instantly recognizable. Amazing Grace, which has been suggested, can also be played as an instrumental and still be recognized immediately.

well mate, if you've only got a couple of hours I would go with Amazing Grace. Certainly fits the 'instantly recognizable' criteria and is something you could probably work up within that narrow time frame. Trust that all goes OK today Stan, will be thinking of you.

I have these two ready just in case:
In My Life (Beatles)
I'll be Seeing You (Bing Crosby, Billie Holiday)

Fields of gold is a very nice song in my opinion and would definately fit the service. Id go that route if i was you stan. Sorry to hear about the loss. My condolences.

Yes Bruddah Eugene...
Yes want something simple like you said...I need to practice it and time is short...thank you so much all
keep them coming though for maybe someone will need this thread one day...hope not, but it the cycle of life I guess ..
Mahalo nui Eugene, Jack and Joe...

Last edited:
How about "Morning Has Broken" Stan? A nice hymn that is easily recognizeable,

Lord of the Dance, I'll See You In My Dreams, Thank You For Being A Friend

Joe Brown's version of "I'll See You In My Dreams" was stunning at George Harrison's memorial.

Starts on F, as I recall. It's not too bad, has some lovely chords, and you can shorten it quite a lot if you want/need. I'm playing ukulele myself at a memorial in two days. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Brother Stan.

Top Bottom