Need Help With Instructional Material

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
I finally got our local club formed and will be gving a free series of classes on how to play the uke. This will be a really basic class and start with a basic history of the uke, how to hold the uke, tune the uke, basic strumming, how to read Chord charts, what is a tab. Will probably start off with a few two chord songs. Subsequent classes will include advanced strumming techniques, how to transpose, chord structures, inversions, etc.

Heres where I need your help. I am trying to put together a package for all of the folks that don't own a uke. Electronic Tuner, Uke, gigbag, and beginner book. I am trying to find a single vendor that you can order from online and over the phone as some of the attendees are internet adverse. Also are there any vendors out there that could accomodate a starter with a package?

Next question. Do you all know of any good beginner books? None with all of the goofy songs you usually see. I've found that if folks like the song and have heard it they are more apt to want to play it. Some of the song in the starter books I've never heard. Is there anything good out there?

My other question is I have thought about making a book for the class. Do you know of any good 2 chord songs that I could use in the book that folks might be able to hear someone else do that they might recognize. Are there any simple Hawaiian songs like that where I could give them an MP3 of the song to listen to?

My last question. I am a teacher but have never taught a music class before, mostly technical stuff like C + programming, Project Management, Meeting Facilitation, Office apps, Computer Intros. etc. (pretty droll huh?).
Any of you music teachers have any advice?

I am trying to put together a package for all of the folks that don't own a uke. Electronic Tuner, Uke, gigbag, and beginner book. I am trying to find a single vendor that you can order from online and over the phone as some of the attendees are internet adverse. Also are there any vendors out there that could accomodate a starter with a package?
. . .Next question. Do you all know of any good beginner books?

Call MGM - he could put something together for you.

I'm biased in recommending him, but I'm probably not wrong either.

Second MGM. I got a great starter pack from him- uke, case, two books, and while this version just had a pitch pipe, I'm sure he'd be able to work with you on it. All hail MGM!

one a good song to learn is over the rain bow i know its over done but you can find simplea rangements of it that only have 4 chords in it

Second MGM. I got a great starter pack from him- uke, case, two books, and while this version just had a pitch pipe, I'm sure he'd be able to work with you on it. All hail MGM!

I left him a message on e-bay a couple of days ago.

Top Bottom