Flea and Fluke owners a question.....

mentalfloss

Reaction score
I just bought a new tenor surf Fluke with a rosewood fingerboard from MGM and love it. A great travel uke. but it has a hard time staying in tune.
I wondered if anyone else has this problem and if anyone can help.
How much can I adjust the tuning pegs with a screwdriver. Can I do damage by overtightining them?
Thanks in advance....

Part of it may be the strings are still stretching. and yes you can damage the tuners by over tightening. It should be tight enough to hold the position but not so tight that you need to have to really squeeze to tune it.

I totally agree with the guys above. Any time that new strings come into the equation, you'll have to deal with note slippage - no matter if you've got a brand new uke or a vintage one. New strings have to settle. If you play them everyday and still have trouble keeping them in tune after a couple weeks, then you've got a problem. Flukes are built pretty solid, though, so hang in there, it should get better soon.

I have a Surf Flea and i must say mine stays in tune to a miraculous extent. I sometimes won't play it for a month or so with wide changes in tempterature and humidity etc and when i pick it up and throw the tuner on it i'll be like perfectly in tune. New strings obviously will stretch so there's nothing a particular uke can do about that. Also i imagine each uke (even fleas/flukes) are a little different.

Chris

Top Bottom