PDA

View Full Version : Getting a grip on things

etf
11-02-2012, 03:20 AM
Hi everyone,
Not posted for a while now but been reading everything. I am a relative newbie. Had my first uke a good few months back now. Started out with a Kala acacia concert. Had lots of fun but kept switching back to guitar so didn't get to far. I then posted about getting a better ukulele, this went by the wayside as money was tight. However, just over a week ago I took the plunge and bought myself a Kanile'a K1-T tenor from SUS (thanks to Rob for the great advice). Well my love of the ukulele has been revived and this time I'm in it for the long haul. I just love the sound, looks, feel and everything about it. I decided I need to do this right this time. As many suggest I have started with Uncle Rods Bootcamp. Due to me being disabled I have all the time I need to practice. As a result I have not put this ukulele down. I have been through the Bootcamp and can play all the chords without needing to look at the fingering.
So, my ukulele family, what would you suggest being my next step? I want to do this right. I sort of play guitar but in respect of being a copy guitarist. By that I mean I learn new songs off You Tube etc parrot fashion. By that I mean I have no structure, it takes me ages to learn a riff and at the end of it I don't know why it goes with the music it's just that I learnt it because the other guy played it. Don't know if this is making any sense? I quickly forget the piece I have learnt due to the fact I have no foundation to what I am doing (or it could be me being nearly 54 and the brain cells are failing).
Anyway, with the ukulele I want to do it right this time. I need a structure to my learning, don't get me wrong i still want to play my favourite songs and have fun but in a way that I remember because I have followed the groundwork. Don't want to be running and falling all the time. I want to walk and build up speed to be able to run and enjoy every second.
What are your stories and methods for getting there? As I stated earlier I really want this to work this time by doing it right. Apart from that the wife will kill me if I don't after buying my Kanile'a. Also my darling wife has bought me a Kanile'a K1-C concert for Christmas so failure is not an option if I want to live. I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Thanks for reading,
ETF

etf
11-03-2012, 02:35 AM
Either I've not explained this right or I've put it in the wrong section.

vanflynn
11-03-2012, 06:10 AM
Hi etf, starting from scratch and coming from a guitar background are different. A lot of instructions assume you know nothing and can be boring/frustrating to those with some music background. You either have to power though it or skip ahead and hope you don't miss something. The UU main website has a good structured course. You may want to try that out. Their are also online tutors.

What are your goals?

Good luck

etf
11-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Hi etf, starting from scratch and coming from a guitar background are different. A lot of instructions assume you know nothing and can be boring/frustrating to those with some music background. You either have to power though it or skip ahead and hope you don't miss something. The UU main website has a good structured course. You may want to try that out. Their are also online tutors.

What are your goals?

Good luck

Thanks for reply. I guess my long term goal would be to get to a standard I could bite the bullet and get up and play infront of people. Wishful thinking but why not.

vanflynn
11-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Do you live somewhere were there is a Uke group near by?

Lori
11-03-2012, 10:30 AM
It sounds like you have two goals, one to perform and one to understand music theory. You don't have to know music theory to perform. You just learn a song really, really well, and then play in front of people. To get it to a good performance level, you have to really have it in your long term memory. That can take playing the piece hundreds (and hundreds) of times. If you can get it to be "automatic" where you don't have to think about it anymore, then you might be close to ready. Just the act of playing in front of others can be such a big distraction, that it will completely mess you up otherwise.

As far as learning music theory, there are many sources for help. Ukulele for Dummies has a lot of good beginning info, and Fred Sokolow's Ukulele Fretboard Roadmap book has the chord patterns and scale info you need to know to do your own solos.

Enjoy your Kanile'a!

–Lori