Singing, then COUGH! COUGH! COUGH! COUGH! COUGH!

ukejoelele

Reaction score
Hi, I normally steer clear of singing but recently have been trying to improve.. but when I sing I tend to some how agitate my voicebox so much it makes me cough quite violently.. it feels like my vocal chords get tangled! has anyone else experienced this or could offer advice on a cure?! Its not health related as I dont cough normally at the moment

I am no expert, but it sounds like you need to relax when you sing. Or find your range and not try to get to far out of it.

Also, it may be that you need to warm up before you start singing, also, keep a bottle of water and drink lots!

You are singing from your throat rather than from your diaphragm. Rummage around YouTube, and I am sure that you will find some voice coaching instruction to fix it.

Not only will you fix the coughing problem, but you will sound much better.

The vibrations from your singing may be shaking up your sinuses, causing drainage (I know...gross!). This can lead to serious coughing as your body tries to clear your throat.

Yes! It happens all the time to me now. I used to play Bass and sing in a Country/Western band several years ago and had to sing in some very smoky joints. In my case I believe I have somehow ruined my vocal chords but with exercise I'm sure I could get it part way back but really I don't think I could get my prime voice back. Doing the exercises, acting like Curly of the Three Stooges or the Wicked Witch of the West helps. Nah-ah-ah. That bringing the vocal chords together really helps. I think you know the sound I mean. Good luck.

Singing, then Cough! sounds normal to me

Singing, then Cough! that sounds about right.
That is common, espcially if you are just starting out singing.
I always have sugar free Ricola cough drops and will take a break and try to soothe the voice with that. You may want to take it easy for a while if it starts getting rough and quit for the night. Then the next morning I would expect the coughing to happen again, and more sugar free cough drops to the rescue for that as well.
After a month or so of singing every day, it should get to be less and less frequent.
I recommend sugar free cough drops because many years ago I ended up having tooth decay, due to the sugary cough drops.
I was singing every day, and taking the cough drops every day.
Still have the cough drops ready when necessary.

I have gastric reflux. Not enough to make me feel heartburn, but just enough to go up one pipe and down the other, making me cough. A simple Omeprazole pill a day does it. Have a doctor look down your gullet and if see that's your problem, too.

I used to talk and cough, sing and cough, laugh and cough. No more.

Top Bottom