Subscribe!!!

electrauke

Reaction score
Hi guys, just thought to let you know about my youtube channel. Subscribe if you like it. The link to it is in my signature below. I really want to get 100 subscribers. Tell your friends. Moderators that would be extra cool if you subscribed, especially Eugene Ukulele and Austin1. I think that ever UUer with like my videos and if you have a channel I will subscribe back. Just let me know that you have a youtube channel and your username.
Here are some links to my videos.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?72360-Sweet-Home-Alabama&p=1090078#post1090078

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?72361-What-a-Wonderful-World&p=1090080#post1090080

Last edited:
One suggestion I have is that you post links to specific videos on the "Videos and Links" board so people can become familiar with your music. Go to that board and check out what other people do there when they start threads. My experience is that people are more likely to subscribe if you link them to a specific video that showcases you than if you merely ask them to subscribe sight unseen. Good luck with your YouTube channel!

I don't mean to sound harsh, but before you ask people to do something for you, you may need to ask yourself what you have done for them.

How many ukulele channels have you subscribed to? How many videos have you clicked "like" on (a UU vid and a Lego vid)? How many positive comments have you made on YT?

From my experience, if you subscribe to someone, if you have made videos (which you have), they will subscribe back.

By the way, I have subscribed to you, as I do whenever I find a ukulele player that is making videos.

Hi there,
You seem like a very nice kid and its nice that you want to help your sister....I am happy to subscibe and help any way I can....good luck to you!! P.S. Good luck in the contest!!

You are up to 3 subscribers now....come on guys, only 97 left to go to help this kid on his Ukulele quest!

I'm with Ken. I don't mean to be harsh but what is the point of begging for subscriptions?

I honestly don't know or care how many people have subscribed to my channel (I do return subscriptions whenever a subscriber has uke-related videos on their own channel, of course). Subscriptions are certainly not necessarily a measure of how good of a musician one is (though there is some correlation in that very good musicians tend to end up with a lot of subscriptions). However, there are some very mediocre musicians who are good at self promotion who have subscriptions far above anything their videos deserve. If one's goal is to be one of those people then maybe begging for subscriptions is the way to go...

As I see it the whole idea of subscriptions is for the subscriber's benefit - so one can keep track of new uploads by people who post videos of interest and people with whom I have established a relationship, even if only a cyber relationship. At least, that's how I use them. Why would I subscribe to a channel of someone who doesn't have any videos that have caught my eye? There are thousands, probably millions, of new videos going up on YouTube every day. When something catches my eye (maybe because a cool vid was linked in the videos section here or because I stumbled across a neat vid while browsing the "related videos" of something else or simply because I have come to like someone via these forums) I subscribe to the channel not as a favor to the channel owner, but for my own benefit so I'll be notified when that person uploads new videos.

Personally, when I subscribe to another channel I don't really care if people return the subscription because it's not a contest for me. I do, however, return subscriptions when others subscribe to me if they have uke related videos of their own simply because I know a lot of people do consider it discourteous not to return subscriptions.

I guess I'm just too old and grumpy to understand the whole social media craze. I'm still aiming to be the last person on earth without a Facebook or twitter account. I suppose I have a google+ account simply because Google created them for everyone who had a YouTube account or other Google login - but, like most people, I've never actually entered my google+ account. In any case, if I ever start measuring my self-worth by how many YouTube subscribers I have, someone please shoot me because I've obviously lost my mind!

John

Wise words in these replies...

I'm a moderator? Sheesh, not even a heads-up! :p

Keep posting videos though, you'll get there!

Last edited:
hey Andre, a belated welcome to the rough and tumble of the forums mate!

I have a few points to make on this one. When I first read your thread yesterday my instinctive reaction was to move it straight to the videos and links board, as the sentiment of your first post worried me a bit and I was anticipating you copping some flak. But you are a young, enthusiastic guy - and a good player too, I might add - and I really want to encourage you, not discourage you. Yes I did take up your request and have subscribed too. Your 'Sweet Home Alabama' rendition is REALLY GOOD! :)

My suggestions/advice , for what it's worth...

1. The UU is primarily a community, a family, of folks pursuing and sharing in our love of the ukulele. There is certainly, and rightly perhaps, a kind of 'scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' mentality that exists with the youtubers and people who post videos on the boards. Ken is right in that to receive love, you do really need to give some as well. There have been other members whom I have read complaining / questioning why people posting the 50 thousandth dodgy cover of 'I'm Yours' get 100's of views as opposed to someone writing their own great songs receiving little more than a dozen. Usually the reason is because those people haven't spent time investing in others, in giving them words of encouragement and praise. I think you'll find when you begin to do that, you become a part of that community and form some great friendships as well...it is then that your support base will begin to grow.

2. Your OP is a little uncomfortable to read for two reasons. (i) it unfortunately does come across as 'begging', but more importantly (ii) in choosing those words you are almost devaluing your music...saying "PLEEEEEEZ subscribe". You need to give people a reason to subscribe, for as John said, people tend only to do that when they feel they are going to hear some good playing that will inspire and motivate them on their own uke playing journey. Your playing alone stands on it's own two feet...

So why don't you head over to the 'Videos and Links' board, post one of your videos, and perhaps underneath leave a comment to the effect of...'if you like this performance I would appreciate your subscribing to my channel'. Be proactive about it and leave a positive footprint, rather than putting pressure on folks which may make them turn their head the other way. I think your responses would be much more positive. Then, while you're over there, watch some other members' clips and leave some kind words for them. Because it really works both ways.

3. Lastly and most importantly it would be helpful for you to ask yourself ' What is my motivation for starting a youtube channel'? If it's to become rich and famous then you have a lot of competition! There are thousands of videos posted worldwide each day, and there are only a handful of ukulele players who can legitimately call themselves professionals. If on the other hand your motivations are more along the line of sharing your love of music and simply doing it for the sake of what you love and are passionate about, you will get much more enjoyment out of the process and are less likely to be disappointed. Subscriptions are hard earned things and it takes time to build up a following.

Sure there are shortcuts...every other day there seems to be a message in my inbox from someone directing me to a site designed especially around the principle of getting you lots of subscriptions and views. If that's really what you want then I could pass on some of those links to you. But I would rather not do that myself, I would rather maintain my integrity.

I think it's great you want to see your little sister grow as a player and want to help her Andre. I also think you have a lot of talent yourself mate, as your clips make that very obvious. I really look forward to watching you develop as a player and become more involved as a member of our online forum community. Just remember bro, subscriptions are NOT the gauge of how good a player or person you are. :)

Sorry that I offended anyone. I just thought the UU forums would be a great way to get my videos out. I guess I really should have thought it through more. I just like it when people subscribe. Knowing that people watch my videos makes me happy. Sorry:(

I've seen it before...
...Someone joins a forum to ask for, or sell something; then they are gone.
Hope I'm wrong :)

I would never join the forum just to sell something. In fact I had my account before I had a Youtube channel. :mad:

Sorry that I offended anyone. I just thought the UU forums would be a great way to get my videos out. I guess I really should have thought it through more. I just like it when people subscribe. Knowing that people watch my videos makes me happy. Sorry:(
Andre, no apologies necessary at all mate. If I could have a dollar for every post I've made on here I regretted then I would be very rich. I totally understand where you're coming from and I feel the same too...there's nothing like getting a nice comment under a clip...kinda puts petrol in your tank and keeps you going. No-one is down on you mate, you need to know that. And yep, you're right, the forums are a great way to get your music out there. I do hope you find several of our suggestions helpful. Don't let one aggro remark get under your skin, just keep up the great playing and go post that performance of 'Sweet Home Alabama' over on the vids and links board! :)

Oh psh, nothing to apologize for. Unless you stop putting up videos, then we'll have a problem.

Top Bottom