baritone uke vs. tenor guitar - sound comparison

jalapeno

Reaction score
pfew... power is finally back on after hurricane sandy. anyways, here's quick comparison of 2 baritone ukes and a tenor guitar. the 2 ukes are a pono mb (with aquila nylguts - linear) and a makai mb-70 (with southcoast re-entrants). the tenor guitar is a blueridge br-40t with d'addario ej16 steel strings. all instruments tuned dgbe. enjoy!

Thanks for the video. :)
I'll be in the market for a new instrument soon and this gave me some things to think about.
The makai seemed just a wee bit brighter to me. Do you think it was just the re-entrant tuning or do you think the spruce makes a big difference?

Thanks for the video. :)
I'll be in the market for a new instrument soon and this gave me some things to think about.
The makai seemed just a wee bit brighter to me. Do you think it was just the re-entrant tuning or do you think the spruce makes a big difference?

probably a combo of the re-entrant southcoast strings and spruce top. the southcoast strings on that uke make a big difference... they sound great and have a good amount of tension. the stock strings were garbage and made it sound more like a toy - no clue what they were. i'm not a huge fan of the aquila strings on my pono, but they're the best i've used so far tension-wise in a linear DGBE set. likewise, the stock strings felt pretty floppy. i'm considering trying out d'addario nyltechs, but i don't know how much different they'd be.

Thanks, I use Southcoast linears on my tenor and will do so on a baritone if I get one.
I just need to find one that isn't too bassy or mushy.

Really enjoyed the video! Got me thinking more about a tenor guitar now. I think I'm just a Ukulele Junkie! Thanks for doing this..It's cool!

wooville

The more I hear those Pono baritones, the more I like them.

i'm not a huge fan of the aquila strings on my pono, but they're the best i've used so far tension-wise in a linear DGBE set.

Have U tried Martins? I'm a huge linear baritone fan & so far the Martins are the BEST for me!

Have U tried Martins? I'm a huge linear baritone fan & so far the Martins are the BEST for me!

really? i haven't tried them on my baritones yet, but that's pretty much what i use on the rest of my ukes. i had read some reviews that the martin bari strings weren't so great. can you comment further about what you like about them? do you find that the wound strings "un-wind" easily? i would love for those to be my go-to bari strings. thanks!!!

Top Bottom