hear a Roy Smeck Vita uke

garyg

Reaction score
I posted a youtube video of All Around the World playing my Roy Smeck Vita uke. Recording was made with a Flip HD camera and no additional mics so the sound quality isn't great but you'll get the idea of how great these ukes sound. Forgive the mediocre performance <g>. Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgTZ4dcoA4

A colleague of mine has one and he brought it to the office and let me play it. It was truly a wonder. So light, so powerful. Fantastic.

I enjoyed that. I always thought those things looked funny, but now I want one. :eek: Good vid!

Very nice, Gary! The uke sounds fantastic. I was with Stan when he got his, BTW. I'm an endorser of the Vita, as you know. I'll have to get mine out now.

Aloha Gary,
You say freemont blacklines eh...wow wee I need to try some of those...I have them on my Anakoneke and they sound amazing on that uke...nice playing too.
Yes Howie was very helpful enabler with me when I got mine at HMS from Mike....Mahalo Howie and Mike....love my Vita Ukulele too...woo hoo

Thanks everyone, glad that the video was useful. Not that I want competition in bidding for them (I definitely want another for my office) but these ukes sound incredible and the slightly wider fretboard makes it easier for me (a guy with short chunky fingers) to play chords like D where you're squeezing three fingers in one fret without buzzing from inadvertently touching an open string. The mics on the Flip HD really do no justice to the sound of this uke, it has a different sound than my vintage Martins but equally good. It's deeper, more resonant, and less bell-like -- overall the kind of very rich sound that you'd like from a vintage uke. It's not very "plinky" Yes Howard is the person who turned me on to these ukes and was incredibly helpful in turning me into a vita-lover. Stan, I love Fremont Blacklines, the only problem that I've had on one early Martin soprano is that if the nut slots are a bit worn they can sometimes buzz because they're so thin. I know that I can fix that with a bit of paper. Aloha everyone. g2

You can address the nut slot in paperless ways: Have a new nut made. Nuts are pretty easy to remove without damaging them. You can save the original nut and swap it out if you ever want to sell the uke. Alternatively, your luthier can drop some CA glue into the slot and re-slot it. If it's done well, you probably won't even be able to see that it has been done.

Thanks Howard, it's an early 1M with the boxwood nut and saddle so I definitely don't want to lose that nut. I'll see what the luthier says. ciao baby, g2

Top Bottom