Wanted: beginners uke - soprano or concert (UK)

bmoo

Reaction score
Hi,

I've finally had enough of my Mahalo uke and want something that stays in tune slightly better, although I'm still very much a beginner, so I'm not after anything too fancy.

I'd rather not buy brand new, especially since I reckon there's loads of uke players on here who no longer use their entry-level ukes and would be happy to sell them on.

Does anyone have anything? Thinking the usual recommended brands Lanikai, Kala, Makala...

Many thanks!
bmoo

Southern Ukulele Store might have some that they've taken in p/x. Give them a call m8.

I'm not sure why your uke doesn't stay in tune, are the tuners tight enough? In the $100 price range I have two Lanikais that I like (one was $60, the other was $140). In the $200 range I like Ohanas a lot.

I don't recommend the Lanikai Lu-11 at $45, the LU-21 at $75 these days (mine was $60) has better tuners and a nicer fret board. Lanikais needed a lot of set up in the past but seem to be getting better.

There's a Lanikai spruce top concert on here that's at a good price - $65 I think for a $170 uke. Just search for "puuuuuuush". I think the member name is 'asiansadness'. People would be very happy to see it bought :D

The clue is in the title fellas. bmoo is over here in the UK. Importing a $ 65 Uke would be pointless. it'd end up close to it's original price.

There's a Koa Pili Koko for sale too. What's your price range?

Hi,

I've finally had enough of my Mahalo uke and want something that stays in tune slightly better, although I'm still very much a beginner, so I'm not after anything too fancy.

I'd rather not buy brand new, especially since I reckon there's loads of uke players on here who no longer use their entry-level ukes and would be happy to sell them on.

Does anyone have anything? Thinking the usual recommended brands Lanikai, Kala, Makala...

Many thanks!
bmoo

Whereabouts in the UK are you based? Local shops often have good deals. If you're over here in the North East for example, Hound Dog Music is a great little local shop with mint ukes for a canny good price. And they do excellent set-ups on all their ukes. I got my first good uke from there, a Kala KA-SS, and I'm still totally in love with it.

Whereabouts in the UK are you based? Local shops often have good deals. If you're over here in the North East for example, Hound Dog Music is a great little local shop with mint ukes for a canny good price. And they do excellent set-ups on all their ukes. I got my first good uke from there, a Kala KA-SS, and I'm still totally in love with it.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. :)

I'm in Manchester, so there are a couple of good music shops here.

My main reason for posting on here was that I thought there might be some second-hand ukes on offer. I'm a reduce, re-use, recycle kinda gal, so to me this would be preferable to buying new. It's not so much a financial thing.

It seems though that people still hang onto their first uke even after upgrading several times! Which is a good thing. Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and pop into my local shop for something brand spanking new.

bmoo

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. :)

I'm in Manchester, so there are a couple of good music shops here.

My main reason for posting on here was that I thought there might be some second-hand ukes on offer. I'm a reduce, re-use, recycle kinda gal, so to me this would be preferable to buying new. It's not so much a financial thing.

It seems though that people still hang onto their first uke even after upgrading several times! Which is a good thing. Perhaps I'll bite the bullet and pop into my local shop for something brand spanking new.

bmoo

The main reason for this is that entry-level ukes are kind of cheap in the first place, and reselling them will bring it down to a price that isn't worth the effort. For that little money you might as well hang on to that first uke. Example: After trying and owning all sizes I finally decided (again) that I'm sticking with a soprano and a baritone. I bought a concert ukulele earlier this year, a Makala MK-C, which I really like but it doesn't get much playing time. I ordered it from highlystrung.co.uk, and it goes for about 45 GBP new (free shipping within the UK). I would like to sell it to you, but with shipping from my country to the UK, it would leave me with about 25 euro that I would be able to ask for that uke. I might as well keep it for that kind of money.

i've got a solid wood spruce top and acacia side and back for sale, its a Bruce Weiart, its slightly smaller than a soprano, sounds sweet and looks really cute, i have owned it for about 15 months, there are no splits, cracks or scratches on it, and I have just put new Aquila strings on it, PM me if you are interested

kaizer

I have an all-laminate mahogany Oscar Schmidt OU2E (active electronics) , Concert sized, currently strung with D'addario's and the New Aquila Red low G but I'd restring for high G if requested. PM me if it takes your fancy!! :)

i've got a solid wood spruce top and acacia side and back for sale, its a Bruce Weiart, its slightly smaller than a soprano, sounds sweet and looks really cute, i have owned it for about 15 months, there are no splits, cracks or scratches on it, and I have just put new Aquila strings on it, PM me if you are interested

kaizer

pics as promised

05112012226.jpg05112012218.jpg05112012219.jpg05112012220.jpg05112012221.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea the price range you're looking for, but the one I have for sale (same page as this thread, or the link in my sig) would cost $40 less to ship to the UK, making it £135.00.

If it's not what you're looking for, then please 'scuse the spam. :)

It's not just a beginner uke though, it's a fine luthier-made uke, full stop. The only thing that makes beginner instruments beginner is the price. Beginner instruments aren't easier to play. (I mean that about instruments in general, not just ukes.)

Last edited:
My budget

Hi all,

Thanks again for all your offers.

When I say I'm after a beginners uke I just mean that since I'm not a very good player, I'm not sure I can justify investing loads in a beautiful uke (although I'd love to!).

I'm thinking I'd like to spend just £50 to upgrade slightly from my Mahalo flying V which aside from not sounding great is a totally awkward shape.

Once my playing is improved and I'm sure I've got the bug for life, I'll be buying a beautiful handmade-in-the-UK uke...!

bmoo

I appreciate what you're saying, but £ 50 won't get you an upgrade from a Mahalo Flying V. Not one which would make it worth it, anyway.

Yes this is what I wondered - hence asking if anyone had something second-hand, as then I'd likely get a bit more for my £50...

bmoo

I appreciate what you're saying, but £ 50 won't get you an upgrade from a Mahalo Flying V. Not one which would make it worth it, anyway.

surely anything would give you an upgrade from a Flying V for improving one's playing and feel for a vibrating instrument. They have no acoustic properties whatsoever!

Top Bottom