Does the Epiphone Les Paul have solid back/sides and laminate top?

kissing

Reaction score
I was looking at my Epiphone Les Paul concert uke today and noticed a funny thing.

The top is definitely laminate. I can see the wood sandwiched together.

However, the back and sides seem to be solid. The grains on the inside surface of the uke are the same as the grain outside.

So does this make it a solid back/sides, laminate top?

It just seemed a bit "in a parallel universe".

10314_Epiphone_Les_Paul_Acoustic_Electric_Uke_Outfit_1.jpg

My thoughts would be unless it says solid mahogany then it's laminate.
h

It might be possible that the sequence match the top and bottom layers. On my Grizzly uke, the back and sides are definitely a laminate, but they sequence matched the wood, so the grain on both sides make it look like the same piece of wood.

Dan

I think the sides are carved out of a single piece of mahogany. I'm not sure about the back since the finish is so dark on mine I can't tell. It might be laminated it might not be. As for the top mine doesn't look laminated but I could be wrong. It might just have a super thin veneer of flame maple on it. I dunno. I don't think it would matter anyway the top is twice the thickness of any other top I've played. I think that is why it has that quiet almost banjo-like sound. Very useful instrument for the zombie invasion. You can bash a zombie in the head and then keep playing. I used to play it when I wanted a plugged in ukulele, but now I got my long lost UAE20 back and the Epiphone has been retired to wall hanger.

The body is a solid piece with the inside carved out. I am sure the top is a lam laminated on the solid carved out body. The sides and back are thick, and all one piece.

Its a fine uke for the money, and keep in mind we are talking about a sub $100 uke. For the money they list these for, they are a no brainer and a hoot to play. They can easily be made to sound and play very nicely.

Last edited:
Yes, what Tony said. The Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele body is routed out of a solid block of mahogany, and the top is laminated maple, just like many of its big brothers.

-Kurt​

Ahh, it is as I suspected.
I think it makes it quite unique as an acoustic ukulele.

You hear of solid-tops on laminate bodies, but they sorta topsy-turvey'd it.

I think mine "opened" up. It sounds quite loud, sustains well. It could be mistaken for solid wood tone (heresy!)

Top Bottom