String Recommendations for Collings UC-2?

good_uke_boy

Reaction score
Hi.

I've got a Collings UC-2, which is beautiful, light, and a joy to play. However, it came with Aquila strings, which seem to muddy up the sound and are noisy themselves -- I can hear my finger(s) strike the strings while strumming.

Should I replace with Worth clears? My KoAlana concert seems to be strung with these, and based on the sound quality and playability of this instrument, I'm tempted to put Worths on the Collings. Any other recommendations, particularly from other Collings mahogany owners? Thanks.

I've got a mahogany UC2. Tried a few different string sets on it too, and I agree with what you say. I think the open C string especially tends to sound really boomy and 'thuddy' on those Collings ukes with the aquilas, which overall seem to make these ukes sound a little dull. I currently have a set of worth clears on mine which, to my ears, give a sweeter and richer tone with better note separation. The volume is similar but it has a much smoother and pleasing sound.

I have Ko'olau Alohi's on my mahogany pono concert and I like them a lot. I would imagine Ken's Living Waters strings would sound super on it also. Great balance of sounds from smoothy bright to mellow.

Although I have a UT-1 instead of a concert, I like Koolau Golds and Worth clears. Both sound great with the golds being a bit warmer than the Worth clears, they're way different from each other but I recommend trying both.

Thanks very much for the replies. I'll give Worth and Ko'alau a try.

It really comes down to a personal choice. There are numerous choices available and finding to right one can be a daunting task. That said, I've been a fan of Southcoast strings for quite some time. I like the feel, playability and tone. I also like using Savarez 540R trebles with an Aranjuez AR600-04.

Yes I had the same issues with my collings....try some fleurocarbons....martin 620... of course this is a personal preferred choice 4 me

Yes I had the same issues with my collings....try some fleurocarbons....martin 620... of course this is a personal preferred choice 4 me

Aloha stan..still trying to find out how many ukes you got?? ha ha

I like the Worth strings on my Collings Tenor,but use Fremont blacks on my Collings Concert.the Fremont C string has a little more tension and I think sounds better.

After doing a bit more research, I went with Southcoast Medium Gauge strings. My UC2 really sings now. Thanks again.

Top Bottom