PDA

View Full Version : restringing to low G

mick3248
11-05-2012, 09:33 AM
I would like to re string my Kala Soprano to low G. First is this possible and second any suggestions or direction would be appreciated.

PhilUSAFRet
11-05-2012, 10:54 AM
While the scale length of a soprano is not optimal for low g tuning, folks do it without problem and many like it. Just install a soprano low g string or some folks can direct you do the appropriate diameter classical guitar string that you can convert into at least two low g strings for your soprano.

Louis0815
11-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Just install a soprano low g string or some folks can direct you do the appropriate diameter classical guitar string that you can convert into at least two low g strings for your soprano.If I am not mistaken a classical guitar D string should do - but this is wound and you might not like the "dominant" sound of it. I'd rather recommend an unwound ukulele string instead, preferrably of the same brand/material as your other strings.

ukemunga
11-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm know there are other brands with unwound low g strings but I am using Worth Clears on myOS concert and like them.

I don't think I'd care for a wound string.

Louis0815
11-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm know there are other brands with unwound low g strings but I am using Worth Clears on myOS concert and like them.Well, at least Ken Middleton's Living Water Strings (link is below in my signature) are all unwound - and highly satisfying.
Aquila has the Red unwound low G string, just ask your fav search engine or music dealer.

UK Paulie
11-06-2012, 01:42 PM
All good advice above, the Aquila red Low G is what I use and if I'm not mistaken Kala ukes are strung with Aquila's so it'll be a simple swap of your high G for the Aquila red. To my ear, they sound the most balanced and dont overpower the other strings as a wound string sometimes does.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
11-06-2012, 07:51 PM
I recommend using a wound string for a soprano low G. I have the Ko'olau Gold soprano string set with wound G string on a uke and they sound and feel terrific.

You can also buy a single classical guitar string (gauge between 0.026" and 0.030"). Ukulele genius James Hill recommends the D'Addario Classic Silverwound (0.029"). Also, one guitar string will be long enough for two uke strings. Good deal.