Amplifier questions

bodhran

Reaction score
Sorry to ask what are probably silly questions but you could write what i know about amplifiers on a very small piece of paper!

Having just been given a solid bodied electric ukulele and being on a very low budget i would like to buy an amplifier. I have read quite a few threads on here but still am not sure if i should get an acoustic or an electric guitar amplifier. The ukulele in question is solid bodied with nylon strings and a passive pickup under the bridge. Being solid bodied i guess an electric guitar amplifier is the better option in that it would give me the facility to 'play' with the sound a little?

I will not be playing in public so a small practice amplifier would fit the bill i guess.

Many thanks for your help.

I would suggest an acoustic amplifier.

Roland AC-30 - (30 Watts) if you want a practice amp. It has a nice looper function so you can practice some solos over chords that you record before. It has very nice tone, works on battery or AC power and is very light and portable. You have also a line out and an output for phones. It has also an automatic anti-feedback filter.

Fishman Loudbox Mini (60 Watts) - if you want some more power. It doesn't have all the functions that Roland AC-30 has. It doesn't work on battery power, doesn't have anti-feedback filter and doesn't have output for phones but delivers outstanding acoustic tone and is loud enough to play with a band.

I own both of those amps and I think they are outstanding.

You can get small modeling amps that do both acoustic and electric, like a Roland Mobile (not Micro) Cube, or Vox Mini 3. I think maybe Line 6 has one too but I've never liked their stuff. I've seen 10 and 15w acoustic amps, like Behringer or an Ibanez Troubador, going for not much, so that's also an option. The nylon strings and passive pu still will prefer acoustic.

People will suggest big ole expensive 30w + monsters that you don't need if want a small sound, as already happened when typing this. But I know for a fact that the Vox and Roland do NOT suck and get plenty loud.

Last edited:
I second the Roland AC-30. It is also very handy in that it can be battery operated. So you can plug-in without electricity. A great feature in my opinion.

A lot depends on the sound(s) you want to create. If you want an acoustic sound, then why go for a solid body at all?

I would suggest you go for any small practice amp, but get yourself an entry level pedal board to add between the instrument and the amp. With the range of sounds available to you after that, you'll surely have a lot of fun with your new toy. :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I think I will go for the Vox mini 3.

I'd def get an acoustic amp with the best acoustic stage you can afford. I'm not a fan of small modelling amps as find a lot of them have fairly thin sound (not all though). Suspect if budget is tight a Marshall AS50 is out of reach, but it really is a sweet acoustic amp

Look at the new Roland Mobile AC, if $199 is in your budget. It will be released very soon.

The Roland Micro Cube if you are on a budget. I use one in my studio... great practice amp... has an accoustic setting that works well... Its only 15 watts but packs a big punch.

Forgot... I got the Roland Micro Cube or $120 US dollars New.

Small battery powered you can clip on your belt, has distortion $20, fun to play on, also can use a 9v adapter
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/danelectro-honeytone-n-10-guitar-mini-amp

Inexpensive practice amp $33
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/rogue-g10-10w-1x3.5-guitar-combo-amp

Nice amp with 5 inputs, mic instrument and 1/8 input for mp3/tablet $99 I've bought these on sale from $80-$85 form Guitar center and Musicians friend.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pw50-personal-pa-system

Nice inexpensive multi effects pedal $80
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/digitech-rp90-guitar-multi-effects-pedal

Nice inexpensive pedal also runs on Batttery $90
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/zoom-g1xn-guitar-multi-effects-pedal#review

The Roland Micro Cube if you are on a budget. I use one in my studio... great practice amp... has an accoustic setting that works well... Its only 15 watts but packs a big punch.

Ahem.. The micro Cube is a 2 watt amp.. ;)
Got one myself so I should know..

Last edited:
Don't count out getting a used amp. You can get a lot more for the money buying used. I picked up a "like new" Ultrasound CP-100 (100 watt) for 200 bucks on craigslist. They sell new for 600.00

Just be patient

And another thing...

This one actually comes with a free amp until Xmas!!! Ah, but then I don't live in the USA....

PS Wattage on amps is not lineal. Eg A 4w Amp does not mean you get double the power of a 2w Amp. In fact, the relationship is much more complex. It follows a curve, the name of which I have forgotten (I did all this in college 45 years ago). How loud a thing sounds depends on the decibel level and the relationship with wattage is not linear. As a rough guide, and if memory serves, If you have a 5w amp, you'd need to have a 50w amp to get double the volume. A 50w amp would need a huge amp (1000w + to appreciate the sound as twice as loud.

Wait there's a graph here I found that illustrates it all better:

power-db.jpg

Basically, the low wattage amps are fine for most domestic uses.

Last edited:
I have a roland street cube. It's battery powered and has two inputs. I have used it with a microphone on the second input. I've used it and and let a buddy plug into the second input.
I've even used it for my solid body U-Bass.

Thanks for all the advice folks. It is all very informative. As a complete novice to amplification I have no idea of the what the various settings do but it will be fun playing and learning.

I originally wanted a solid bodied ukulele because I can practice at night without disturbing my wife who would suffer terminal sense of humour loss if I started playing an acoustic ukulele at 3:00 am. Anyway - I was lucky enough to be given a cheap solid bodied ukulele as a present and really like it. Human nature being what it is though I now want an amplifier for some daytime playing and probably to experiment with various effects just because..........

The ukulele is loud enough that at night I can hear it without headphones. It would be fun though to have an amplifier.

Based on what has been suggested on this forum and then reading up on the specs I think the Vox mini 3 is the frontrunner.

Many thanks for all your help.

He asks for a cheap amp and the gear brigade comes out to suggest huge expensive loud amps. Facepalm...

Well perhaps not if bought used and I don't see a budget figure mentioned. Just checked eBay and seen loads of Marshalls and Roland's sold for little over £100 - not a great deal different in budget to a good micro....

(And the Marshall works wonderfully at low volume - it's designed to)

Top Bottom