What Uke for under a 1k ?

Gforeman

Reaction score
Trying to keep it around $800, but what would be a good uke for this price range? My Kamoa 500 T just did not work out and I got a refund, so now I am in the market. My problem is there are no shops around here that carry anything other than low end stuff.

Specs:
I want a Low G
I would like active pickup, but not a deal killer
Would like a hard shell case

Maybe a Kanilea K1-TSF, or a Pono?

Too many options to list. There are a lot of great ukes in that price range. Have you done a search?

I'm hoping to get a first hand experience in that range. I can find plenty of ukes around that price. Just trying to get a handle on what to shoot for.

Kanile'a K1 Tenor Satin. GREAT Sound, perfect value for your money! :)

Griffin Ukuleles are incredible handbuilt French Polished made for you. There's also some fine used ukes in the Marketplace and also on FMM,

I found a dealer 45 minutes away with a Pono RTPC in stock. Doesn't have the slotted headstock I wanted, but I'm going to go check it out. Anyone here have this model?

I have both koa and acacia ukes and if you can afford it, get a koa over an acacia. More sustain, resonance and clarity, IMO.

Pono is fantastic, and if you get one with a pickup you can easily put an active in later. I prefer offboard preamps as I can play with the sound a bit more, but inboard is nice and light and convenient!

A Boat Paddle 12 fret makes that cut, as does a Koaloha concert pikake (satin), and maybe an MP Ukulele depending on specs.

Kanilea K1 or KoAloha tenor for just a hair more than your 1K budget. I think HMS has some of the older KoAloha pricing still for currently stocked ukes, after that, the prices go up to the new KoAloaha pricing. Tough to pass up on that. Can't go wrong with a Pono too! Played one at HMS this past July and they are nice. If you going Kanilea, ya got to go for the UV... it's like glass! :)

The fun is in the shopping!

I went to Nova Music tonight. They have a pretty decent wall of Ukuleles. I tried two Ponas. an RTPC, and an MTD, both gloss, neither with electrics. Then I picked up Augistino LoPrinzi 3M-T.

That was a BIG mistake. That thing was unbelievable. The sound just blew me away. Every note beautiful, and the sustain so sweet.

My wife really wants me to stick to the $800 mark, but they had this one marked down to $999, so I may have to work on her.

Wish I had a place to try a Kanilea K1.

http://www.augustinoloprinzi.com

3MT.jpg

Oh that Loprinzi is sweet, you should go for it!

I went to Nova Music tonight. They have a pretty decent wall of Ukuleles. I tried two Ponas. an RTPC, and an MTD, both gloss, neither with electrics. Then I picked up Augistino LoPrinzi 3M-T.

That was a BIG mistake. That thing was unbelievable. The sound just blew me away. Every note beautiful, and the sustain so sweet.

My wife really wants me to stick to the $800 mark, but they had this one marked down to $999, so I may have to work on her.

Wish I had a place to try a Kanilea K1.

http://www.augustinoloprinzi.com

View attachment 45051

I'm with Eric. Plus, should you ever sell it, the resale on a LoPrinzi is outstanding and you will easily get the $199 difference from the others back completely.

Your ears do not lie.

The LoP had the high G string. How hard is it to convert? The nut slot looked like an exact fit for the Nylon G string, so I'm guessing it would have to be widened.

While I am at it, the Pono had a wound C string, and the high G. Why is the C wound on some tenors? Just personal preference?

Yeah, the wound C is personal preference. As for the nut on the loprinzi, I couldn't say. Sometimes it looks like a tight fit, and the low g goes right on in. Other times, not-so-much. There are many low G string options: the type that southcoast has, the Aquila reds, the unwound fluoros of which there are many brands, or just the plain wound strings.

I doubt you'd have to widen the slot for a low G. I'd have it changed over before buying it or have the stores luthier do it. I change my tenors to rentrants(hiG) and linears(low g) all the time and never have had to file the slot..

If you want to sound like a uker ya have to use the lingo as Dirk from Southcoast says, it's linear for the lower tuned 4th string and rentrant for the hi lol.

Yeah that LoP is way better than the others you tried. Ponos are good but not even close to a LoP. And as CK says, the resale value will make up for it. You may be able to deal a bit more on it also, perhaps a trade in on your old one or sell it here.

Top Bottom