Martin S1 Pre War

Sari

Reaction score
Would any one know the approximate value of an early 1930's Martin S1, all original, very good condition and excellent playing shape.

I'm no expert but I've seen them sell on Ebay for around $600 to 1200 depending on condition. Then again I paid $66 for the one I have .

So pre-war Martin Style 1, depending on condition & the marketplace where offered, would/could go for $500 - $1500 - notice that Pukulele Pete gave you approximately the same answer.

But, if you call it a Martin S1, it wouldn't be pre-war & certainly not 1930. Be specific or you won't see much interest. The Martin SO & S1 are relatively recent Martin ukes, with nowhere near the value or quality of a vintage Martin.

Just watch a few ebay auctions for a couple of weeks & you'll see widely ranging prices being paid for Martin's from that time period in all manner of condition.

Hope this helps, Mahalo

So pre-war Martin Style 1, depending on condition & the marketplace where offered, would/could go for $500 - $1500 - notice that Pukulele Pete gave you approximately the same answer.

But, if you call it a Martin S1, it wouldn't be pre-war & certainly not 1930. Be specific or you won't see much interest. The Martin SO & S1 are relatively recent Martin ukes, with nowhere near the value or quality of a vintage Martin.

Just watch a few ebay auctions for a couple of weeks & you'll see widely ranging prices being paid for Martin's from that time period in all manner of condition.

Hope this helps, Mahalo

Thanks. I did mean Martin Style 1.

Guy I met at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway this past weekend got a Vintage Martin tenor at a yard sale in good condition for $70

Condition is really the key factor, which is why the price ranges you have been reading are so great. They tend to go more toward the lower end of these ranges, most often, however. If you get between $600.00 and $700.00, I think it would be fair.

I am looking for one from the 1920s, myself. But, I forgive everyone for torturing me with the yard sale stories (I should be so lucky) and their $66.00 and $325.00 purchases. :stop:

Something is only worth what one is willing to pay. If your looking to sell it, start it off on ebay at .99 cents and at the end of your auction, you will see what it's worth. Be sure your description is honest and complete. Many people think their Martin's are worth much more then they are, hence the zero bids of many on ebay.

Vintage Martins are identified by style number and wood type 1M style 1 mahogany, 1K style 1 koa. I follow these pretty regularly on ebay and have paid between $380 for a 20's beater, to ~1K for an early one (1916-1922) without cracks and incredible sound. Depending on condition I think that you've gotten reasonable prices but condition and sound are everything on these ukes. Contrary to Skinny Money I don't think that ebay necessarily tells you what something is worth, especially if you list it without a reserve. Ebay is a very strange place, watch vintage Martin ukes on it for 30 days and you'll see what I mean. Some times ukes go for high prices and a uke in the same condition two weeks later goes for $250 less. Ebay brings what something is worth if you're an established seller in that field and have a perfect feedback record and a reasonable price.

I'll give you $100 for it!

Vintage Martins are identified by style number and wood type 1M style 1 mahogany, 1K style 1 koa. I follow these pretty regularly on ebay and have paid between $380 for a 20's beater, to ~1K for an early one (1916-1922) without cracks and incredible sound. Depending on condition I think that you've gotten reasonable prices but condition and sound are everything on these ukes. Contrary to Skinny Money I don't think that ebay necessarily tells you what something is worth, especially if you list it without a reserve. Ebay is a very strange place, watch vintage Martin ukes on it for 30 days and you'll see what I mean. Some times ukes go for high prices and a uke in the same condition two weeks later goes for $250 less. Ebay brings what something is worth if you're an established seller in that field and have a perfect feedback record and a reasonable price.

I agree with what Gary is saying. Martins are highly desired by players and collectors, but players and collectors are motivated differently. If a more common ukulele, like a Style 1 is older, absolutely pristine, and comes with an original case, a collector will likely pay a premium to have it in their display case. You could be misled into thinking that since the one you own is almost as old and in almost as good condition and with a case that isn't original but, nevertheless, a really nice case, yours should be worth almost as much. It would likely not be so proven because the collectors would not be interested. The players, on the other hand, have varying wants, needs, and tolerances. Some don't mind a well-repaired crack, but are turned off by finish issues. Others think of finish issues as adding to the mojo but don't want any deviations from originality such as replaced saddles or tuners. Then there is simple supply and demand. When there are many Martins on Ebay, they tend to sell at lower prices, and vice versa. You just never know.

I do agree with Skinny Money though. If you list your uke on Ebay, you will find out what your particular uke is worth to the pool of buyers at the moment in time that the auction closes.

Howard why aren't you watching election coverage - and thanks for delivering Maine btw? Okay let's not argue semantics here. By definition what something sells for is what it's worth at that moment to the buyer. But when I think of what something is "worth" I think in terms of a longer time horizon approximating say, average value over six months or a year. If everything sold for what it was actually worth then we wouldn't be bragging about $66 or even $300 1M's <g>. ciao baby, g2

Howard why aren't you watching election coverage - and thanks for delivering Maine btw? Okay let's not argue semantics here. By definition what something sells for is what it's worth at that moment to the buyer. But when I think of what something is "worth" I think in terms of a longer time horizon approximating say, average value over six months or a year. If everything sold for what it was actually worth then we wouldn't be bragging about $66 or even $300 1M's <g>. ciao baby, g2

I am watching election coverage! I did my small part and voted early today, too. I've never seen the local polling station so crowded.

Anyway, yes of course we are talking about the definition of "market price." The OP is wondering about the "approximate value" of his ukulele. They are related, but not exactly the same thing. An assessment of past sales data will produce a sense of value, but not necessarily predict a selling price of an individual ukulele. They are related to the extent that value may give you an idea of "ballpark" price, however, the ballpark is huge when it comes to Martins. That's all I was trying to point out. Although the OP was inquiring about "value," I assumed that he is considering selling it and is therefore mostly concerned with price. Perhaps he wants to insure it, on the other hand, in which case estimates of value would be relevant.

If you are serious about getting an approx. estimated price on your Martin...post pictures too...condition matters, but sound to me is foremost...what's good about a nice uke if it is not playable...I can tell you style 1's that I will pay up to 600- 700 tops for a mint, great sounding one...but that is me ...then again, I scored a good condition, great sounding one for 400 Good Luck

Last edited:
Thanks guys for great feedback. But I do not have a Style 1 for sale. I was only asking approximate value because my cousin just gave me a uke our grand father had and never used. It just plays like butter. We also got hold of a pre 1950 Style 0. Both not for sale. Thanks for all the info.

Thanks guys for great feedback. But I do not have a Style 1 for sale. I was only asking approximate value because my cousin just gave me a uke our grand father had and never used. It just plays like butter. We also got hold of a pre 1950 Style 0. Both not for sale. Thanks for all the info.

Well then, there you go! Enjoy those ukes. Martin sopranos are arguably the best ever made.

Wow You are very lucky to get a family heirloom, keep it in the family and I hope you never sell them...happy Strummings...
a good price on a 50's style O would be 400.00 in average condition

Top Bottom