Do you keep your Ukes in or out of their cases?

Blueman2

Reaction score
I want to build something for Uke players and collectors to store their Ukes in and am trying to find out whether most Uke players would prefer to keep their Ukes in or out of their cases and roughly how many Ukes would need to be stored. Thanks

with me, it's out of sight, out of mind, so I keep em hanging on the walls where I can get at them.

My recommendation is to make a glass cabinet with built in humidifier, more like a cigar case. Ukes are lighter braced and thinner wood so more susceptible to cracks. Wickedwahine11 has a nice case for her avatar

ukecabinet.jpg

Wicked's cabinet. I'm sure she'll chime in with suggestions, she's a lovely person. She may have advice for you, original poster. Here's her case. (click to enlarge)

P.S. Everyone on UU drools like a Saint Bernard whenever we see it.

Last edited:
with me, it's out of sight, out of mind, so I keep em hanging on the walls where I can get at them.

Haha! I'm the opposite, I like to keep most of mine in their cases, hidden away in a cabinet. Otherwise if they're always in sight I would just never put them down lol. It would also start to feel like they're taking over my life if I had them all on display because it'd probably sink in that I have quite a few already. And it keeps my UAS from getting out of hand: when there's no place left in the cabinet, then there will be no place left for additional ukes in my life. Good rule of thumbs. Keeps things nice and tidy :)
I only have my flea out, but at a safe distance from the sofa lol

If I ever wanted a different cabinet, it'd be nice though if its inside were padded and made specifically for storing ukes in it, with or without cases. And if it could be thermally insulated and at constant regulated temperature and humidity levels so I wouldn't have to worry about having the cabinet next to a heater or a window. That'd be mint!

Mine stay in their cases. Why tempt fate. They need it for the humidity. They need it so I -- or any one else or a dog -- don't step on them. The case for my work horse ukulele is right by my music stand.

The glas cabinet looks gorgeous. What a great idea! :)

Unfortunately I have no place for something like this. I keep my good ukuleles (aNueNue Harp Ukulele, Kanile'a Tenor Island Tat, Brüko custom soprano longneck) in good case at a corner of my living room. They are too valuable for me to hang unprotected on my wall. ;)

My outdoor soprano lies in a cheap nylon bag. My custom hulabox sopranino and my tangi miniature sopranano are standing decorative in my shelf. :cool:

I do a little bit of both, but as some have said, out of site, out of mind. The ukes I keep around the house hang up in my humidified music room. In the past, I would keep all of my instruments in their cases with their own humidifiers, and I would rarely play them, so now they all hang up and I have a whole room humidifier running when the furnace is on. My Oscar Schmidt OU2 and red Mahalo, both laminated, stay in their cases for quick grab-n-run reasons.

DSCN2096.jpg

DSCN2097.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

DSCN2095.jpg

Dan

It seems to be like guitar players, pretty evenly divided as to in our out of cases. However, most acoustic players want to keep them in the cases while electric players like them out. Thought Uke players would most like be "in the case" people. Do most of you have at least 4 or 5 ukes or do a lot of you have just 1 or 2?

It seems to be like guitar players, pretty evenly divided as to in our out of cases. However, most acoustic players want to keep them in the cases while electric players like them out. Thought Uke players would most like be "in the case" people. Do most of you have at least 4 or 5 ukes or do a lot of you have just 1 or 2?
I have 4 or 5 X 4 or 5, bad case of UAS! (and guitars, mandolins etc) But for the most part my laminate instruments are out of cases and solid and solid tops are kept in their cases with humidifiers.

I keep mu ukuleles in their cases. They all have Oasis humidifiers, either the kind that clip onto the case or, where the case is too small for that, the kind that hang in the body from the ukulele's strings.

attachment.php

San Francisco is a relatively humid place a lot of the time, but it's often cold and when the heat comes on in my apartment, it can be drier inside than it is outside. Also, I find that having them in their cases protects them from dust. I used to play one of the cheap ukes I owned that was always out of its gig bag and easy to reach for, but I've trained myself that taking the few seconds to grab a good uke out of its case is worth it.

I have several ukes. What I'm currently looking for in terms of storage for them is a bookcase that can accommodate 6-8 ukes standing up in their cases and is deep enough to accommodate most of the width of the cases (most bookcases are not deep enough to do this.) Short of that, I'd probably buy a storage cabinet meant for guitars like this one.

attachment.php

good to know. We'll see what the ultimate response is.

Both, the better ones live in a case. But I usually have a cheaper laying around for a quick strum now and then. (about 10 times per evening.)

My room humidifier has become useless, and while I'd love a cabinet, the husband isn't building one anytime soon, so it's cases, until the heater goes off in the summer.

Mine all live in cases - hard shell for most, but the Epi Les Paul electrics live in the cheap gig bags they came with, and the banjo ukes live in good gig bags. (One that has the "Bean Sprout" logo is probably as close as I'll ever get to having a bean Sprout banjo uke...)

I can grab any of 3 at any given time, without a hassle - another 5 with minimal movement, and the other 4 take a bit of effort ... but that's fine, because 2 of them aren't getting played at all, and the other two are very sentimental and somewhat fragile, so I take them out maybe once a month.

-Kurt​

I keep mine in their cases for protection but I am seriously considering building a hanging wall cabinet with glass front to put them in.

John

4 solid wood 'ukuleles. All in cases with oasis humidifiers. Scary how fast the humidifiers dry out at different times of the year.

Top Bottom