PDA

View Full Version : New ukulele book on the way “Open Tuning for Ukulele“

Ondrej
11-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Just having in my mind, I would like to share nice information with you that I am in process of finishing correction of my third book* with Mel Bay in these days. It should be released by the end of this year. I thought when the "open tuning" are used often on guitar and banjo, why this much unexplored area not to explore more carefully on ukulele too?
This book shows 28 different tunings. One chapter is dedicated to each tuning. Each chapter consists of five parts. How do I re-tune ukulele tuning to a new one of friendly scale, Fingerboard, Chords, Three different songs.
The book will be "a good start" for all curious players who want to discover new ways how to play the ukulele. I hope that ypou will enjoy the book and help you to discover new areas.
Ondrej

PS: The book will be used as well by those who suffer from syndrome "UAS". They can tune each ukulele in in different tuning:D

* With Mel Bay the third, but already the 19th book, for more info see http://osos.sweb.cz/Repertoar.html

LifesShort
11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
This book shows 28 different tunings.....The book will be used as well by those who suffer from syndrome "UAS". They can tune each ukulele in in different tuning:D

Great! Now I have to buy 26 more ukes! My wife is gonna love this. ;)

OldePhart
11-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Great! Now I have to buy 26 more ukes! My wife is gonna love this. ;)

BWAAA-HAAAA :biglaugh:

pulelehua
11-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Ooooh. Sounds interesting. Some interesting books coming out now, methinks. Still need to pick up Tony Mizen's latest...

Barbablanca
11-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm very interested in the alternative tuning book idea and look forward to getting my hands on it. Good luck with it.

fowl
11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I hate to show my ignorance but I have no music training. Can someone explain in simple terms what open tuning is?

pulelehua
11-08-2012, 12:48 AM
I suppose an interesting difference is that you could argue that a ukulele is naturally in an open tuning, while a guitar is not. (Yes, this argument can be picked apart from two sides ;) )

seeso
11-08-2012, 03:31 AM
Please post promotional threads in the Videos and Links section. Thanks.

Ondrej
11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words. When I get to Mel Bay to know more, I'll write here.

pulelehua: I have the same opinion. The standard ukulele tuning is naturally in an open tuning (C6), while a guitar is not.

seeso: I am very sorry, but the "Uke talk" I found to contain the same discussion (thread). I thought that my post belongs there.

seeso
11-09-2012, 04:21 AM
seeso: I am very sorry, but the "Uke talk" I found to contain the same discussion (thread). I thought that my post belongs there.

No worries, Ondrej. We don't catch each and every rules violation in Uke Talk, so if you saw a commercial post in there, it was an oversight on our part. Thanks.

Ondrej
12-02-2012, 09:40 PM
So the first piece of good news, there's E-Book (http://www.melbay.com/Products/30100EB/open-tunings-for-ukulele.aspx).
Standard book comming soon.

Ondrej
12-29-2012, 12:27 AM
And here is the new book (http://www.melbay.com/Products/30100/open-tunings-for-ukulele.aspx).

Barbablanca
12-29-2012, 01:24 AM
Hi Ondrej,

Will there be a way to actually HEAR each example? I am sure I am not alone in being able to read tab (and music) only when I can hear a reference to show me how it should sound :rolleyes:

Ondrej
12-30-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm sorry, but it will not be possible. This book is published by Mel Bay which has own advertise politics.