Using a wound string on a tenor uke?

doowopper

Reaction score
I am a relatively new uke player and have several tenor ukes tuned with reentrant GCEA tuning. On one of them, the C string sounds dead or flat especially when fretting up the neck. I tried Worth (clear and dark) and Aquila strings on that uke with the same result - dead or flat C string. Currently I have Aquila strings on that uke. I thought I would try a wound C string.
I know little about wound strings - hope you don't mind all of the following questions about them. If you can answer some or all of them, that would be great.
1) Will a wound C string possibly improve the sound - make the C string sound less dead or flat?
2) What differences in sound might I expect from a nylon vs. steel vs. aluminum wound string?
3) Which material would you recommend?
4) I looked at a set of Aquila's with a wound string (C string) on the web. No mention is made of what the wound string is made of. Should I assume it is made of nylgut like the other strings in the set?
5) Does anyone make an aluminum or metal wound C string?
6) If I get a a new set of strings with a wound C string, can I just replace the wound string on my uke without replacing the other three strings regardless of whether the wound string matches the brand of string currently on my uke?
Thanks.
Richard

Hey Richard...I am a beginner player, so someone smarter than me will answer your Qs in depth...but my first uke was a soprano Sanchez with pick up (all nylon Martin strings) and I love it but the C string gives me grief and I dont know why. Always really tricky to tune.
Next I bought a Lanikai Flamed Maple Tenor and it has a wound C string. The string is not tricky to tune, and other than the squeeky sliding sound on steel strings...its great. Definitely gives extra body to the sound.
Why do they send out ukes from the factory with C strings in steel anyway? Must be a good reason. Anyone?

Diameter Tension
Item# Note inches mm lbs kg

BNYL028 A .028 0.71 12.8 5.81

BNYL036 E .036 0.91 11.9 5.40

NYL035W C .035 0.89 10.6 4.81

BNYL032 G .032 0.81 13.3 6.04

this is the string sizing of the D'Addario Tenor's with a Wound C
go to your local Acoustic Guitar shop and ask for a Wound string that matches that size .035 in.
http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetail.aspx?CodaID=750&ID=5&Class=AZ

no point in restringing the whole Uke to see if it fixes it.
I would think it's something with the Uke like maybe the slot in the nut killing the string???
seeing as you have tried multiple strings.

USUALLY THE ANSWERS ARE BASED ON PERSONAL PREFERENCE.. BUT SINCE IT KEEPS ON COMING UP. ILL GIVE YOU MY OWN OPINION

Nam's opinion:

1) Will a wound C string possibly improve the sound - make the C string sound less dead or flat?
I dont think it will improve the sound or make it sound bad. I recently put on wound G AND wound C. Im starting to get use to it and liking it! I THINK in terms of strumming, the wound vibrates a little longer than nylon therefore you can hear the certain note for longer which is ACE!

2) What differences in sound might I expect from a nylon vs. steel vs. aluminum wound string?
Not too sure about steel string, i was even thinking about going on to steel string when i first started. A common answer when it comes to strings is you gta try them all to see which one you like.

3) Which material would you recommend?
As in strings? Im using worths CM atm. Dont reccommend anything.. Ill let you choose! :)

4) I looked at a set of Aquila's with a wound string (C string) on the web. No mention is made of what the wound string is made of. Should I assume it is made of nylgut like the other strings in the set?
Im pretty sure its made out of synthetic material. NukeDoc knows.:p

5) Does anyone make an aluminum or metal wound C string?
I dont know how to? :confused:

6) If I get a a new set of strings with a wound C string, can I just replace the wound string on my uke without replacing the other three strings regardless of whether the wound string matches the brand of string currently on my uke?
Yes thats ok!
Alot of ppl do that.
like say G E A = Worth
and C = Aquillas

Thats fine :D

Top Bottom