Salutory Warning...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
If you are thinking of starting up in business making ukulele you may wish to read a thread here onthe Ukulele Cosmos forum. This is a UK based forum which I rarely post on these days. If you don't want to read the whole lot here is my post - it's a warning shot.

You have to learn to live below the minimum wage for a long time! Although I build sopranos there is a ceiling to what can be charged - they are alwaus made for less than cost and half my output this year has been sopranos. So go figure, I have effectively been working below cost for half the year... This craft is not for the faint hearted. My car mechanic charges £47 an hour here in Wales. I geta great service, good after sales/work support but it don't last and another six months...

Addendum:
I have been building since 1994, stopping and starting 4 times over this period. Only since the UOGB did the Jools Holland Hootenany and the real interest in ukulele took off has then even been half a chance of making a living at this. 130 YouTube videos, a diversity of business activity, constantly and embarassingly bigging upo my work (yes, I DON'T like doing it as much as I despair at the disdain from those who think doing so is cheap) has got me to this point; despite periods when illness has prevented me from filling orders, lossing clients as a result and thus opening the door to the competition! It is true that if you are first in the door you may stand a chance and have the privelege, like me of still having orders... Remember, I started the same time as KoAloha - had I taken up the offer at the time to set up my workshop in Hawaii things may have been a whole lot different both here and in Hawaii where I already had an impact but didn't have that all important 'Made in the USA' label! Late comers have benefited from a very long gestation period and yet there is still only room for a few bespoke builders in Europe. I gave up guitar building to become a ukulele maker and despite many setbacks I still have the good fortune to do it. Things are very, very tough especially for newcomers and more so for guitar makers- just to give you a clue Andy: I pay no tax...I really do discourage anyone who thinks this is a well paid business to go stack supermarket shelves as training for living on a low wage... Either that, or you cut your own throat doing it. And nay guitar maker who wants to diversify - forget it. The learning curve for this business is long.
Finally - thanks to all those who have championed my work here and elsewhere, who have bought my instruments and helped me in my business. I truly, despite my best efforts, could not possibly have done it without you. You know who you are - smile now :)

The final paragraph goes for all you fans here also....

We love you here Pete. Thank you for doing what you do. Hope your post to them was a valedictory warning.

Valedictory ?.....Salutory ? :confused:.....I've managed to get through 72 years of my life and never had to use those words once.
Not even playing "scrabble" :)

ecard.jpg

The life of the luthier

I hear ya, my wife said I should just build uke's for a living now that I am selling them as fast as I can build them. I then told her I would have to sell between 20 and 30 ukes a month just to be even close to the same income as she is used to. She looked at me and said, OK? People just dont get it I guess. I think my hobby that I like would become work and I might not like it as well. Also how do you replace all the benefits that you would loose being self employed. I love that you guys that do it can, but not sure I could. Maybe after I retire.

Those of you full-time luthiers who spend your time around here: I salute you. I'm starting this up as a hobby, hoping only to make enough money on sales to buy some wood for the next one. I'm not putting a price on my time because as a hobby the time is therapy for my own benefit. Those of you who have to make a living at this? Wow - that is true dedication to your art. Bravo - thank you for bringing beautiful things into this world at your own expense.

Hi Pete

You make some poignant comments. I think I remember Chuck Moore commenting on a thread that he thought you were one of the two best luthiers in the world. However, since I live in North America, I wouldn't think of buying a uke from Europe or Australia.

There's many people out there who are much more open than I am so hopefully they buy your ukes instead of just appreciate your work.

Hi Pete

You make some poignant comments. I think I remember Chuck Moore commenting on a thread that he thought you were one of the two best luthiers in the world. However, since I live in North America, I wouldn't think of buying a uke from Europe or Australia.

There's many people out there who are much more open than I am so hopefully they buy your ukes instead of just appreciate your work.

Pepsi used to have a management style called stroke and slap. This was a good example.
It certainly didn't seem very kind hearted.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from him.

And I no longer ship to North America - too much hassle with Lacey, CITES and shipping companies determined to destroy all the hours of hard work.

BTW Chuck was being mischievous - there is no such person as the best. I have a peer group whose work I admire and aspire to emulate, whose company and association I enjoy.

I'm not crying, begging or seeking appproval - these points need making every now and then, but especially now when people are wondering what they can do next. I have a very supportive wife and understanding clients.

Last edited:
Pete,
So how would one in the states get one of your ukes if you dont ship here? I hear ya one them getting destroyed. I sold one to a guy in Canada and when it went through customs it was totally unpacked them repacked in like 30 seconds and then was destroyed on it way to the buyer. I get insurance for this reason but it was easy to see from the pics upon arrival that it was not packed right after it being ransacked at customs.

I am curious to as why this is ? :confused:

Shipping is the main reason, it typically costs more to ship and if there are any repairs in the future, I have to ship it back and costs lots of money.

There are talented luthiers closer so I try to support them. If Pete had moved to Hawaii or better yet Cali, his name would be high on the list!

Shipping is the main reason, it typically costs more to ship and if there are any repairs in the future, I have to ship it back and costs lots of money.

There are talented luthiers closer so I try to support them. If Pete had moved to Hawaii or better yet Cali, his name would be high on the list!

Explained that way sounds much more reasonable, and not abrasive. Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks for answering that :) so do you guys get stung like us for import duty by customs, you most certainly have some excellent Luthiers in the States, it's a shame with shipping costs, I have just bought the new Daily ukulele book and the shipping is as much as the book lol, my fault for being impatient and not waiting till it is readily available in the UK silly me

Pepsi used to have a management style called stroke and slap. This was a good example.
It certainly didn't seem very kind hearted.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from him.

"Honey and Hatchet" from "How to Tame a Dragon"

I don't think he meant it that way though.

See:)

Last edited:
Explained that way sounds much more reasonable, and not abrasive. Thanks for clarifying.

My bad, why would I quote Chuck to say that Pete's work is suberb and yet be abrasive toward the guy? I was hoping to praise him and agree with him about the "Made in the USA" label. Besides, I like ukuleledaveey and all his contributions to the Seasons, which is where I spend most my time on UU. I guess my ESL is apparent! Lost in Translation. LOL

My bad, why would I quote Chuck to say that Pete's work is suberb and yet be abrasive toward the guy? I was hoping to praise him and agree with him about the "Made in the USA" label. Besides, I like ukuleledaveey and all his contributions to the Seasons, which is where I spend most my time on UU. I guess my ESL is apparent! Lost in Translation. LOL

Certainly,no problem here. I really appreciate your comments.

Last edited:
Shipping in around the states is easy and pretty cheap. Getting stuff from like Canada costs us extra. Like my buddy pays 60 bucks to ship to me and then they want 20 or more at time of delivery. I don't get why it is so costly. Wish is was easier but it will only get worse at costs go up.

I may be mistaken but I think Pete isn't talking so much about the cost of shipping an uke across international borders but rather the legality and red tape involved in doing so. It hasn't been mentioned for a while but it's probably time to remind everyone again of the LACEY Act. **sigh**
I stopped shipping out of the USA over a year ago because I didn't want to have to jump through the hoops in order to comply.

Hmmm, we ship a fair amount overseas...guitars, ukes, basses...and it's not that big a deal nor all that horribly expensive using USPS.

Top Bottom