PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Day- Collings Tenor

Tailgate
11-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Collings UT3M Tenor from Accoustic Vibes Music in Tempe AZ. Great service from Jeff.

Sitka spruce top, quilted maple back. Tortoise binding, rosewood fretboard, haircut headstock.

Light.. Plays very nice. Good volume, very pleasant balanced tone with good sustain. Aquila strings for now. Craftsmanship is superior to anything I've seen before.

Excuse the crappy Iphone pics.

Cheers.. Bob

ps.. will have Pono Mahog Tenor FS in marketplace very soon..

Newportlocal
11-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Just incredible! Congratulations!

coolkayaker1
11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Dude, that's awesome!

I have a Collings Tenor UT-1 'hog coming to me in the next couple days. It won't look as nice as yours, but I'm getting pretty excited about it now that I have read the three or four Collings threads on UU now. They sure get universal "props". Thanks for the photos.

lennymac
11-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Wow, congratulations!! I've never seen wood like that before!!

Trinimon
11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Wowwee! That's one pretty uke! Congrats!

PhilUSAFRet
11-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Awesome!!!! Only thing that could be better is if it had come to me. :drool:

hawaii 50
11-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Wow, congratulations!! I've never seen wood like that before!!

what kind of wood is it..is the top tinted yellow?

Steedy
11-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Love that quilted Maple, it's the best I've ever seen! :shaka:

csibona
11-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Wow, what a beauty.

mo9090x
11-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Congrats! That's going to be a lot of fun!

Hippie Dribble
11-08-2012, 03:11 PM
That's just stunning Bob, congratulations mate...I look like Kermit the Frog right now... :drool:

specialk13
11-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Very nice, I'm glad to see that uke went to a fellow UUer. I was ogling that one for a bit myself ;)

caukulele
11-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Very beautiful. I can't wait to hear a sound sample.

Tailgate
11-08-2012, 04:02 PM
what kind of wood is it..is the top tinted yellow?

The top is sitka spruce and the sides/back quilted maple.. the maple is stunning the way the grain creates rolls.. truly looks like a quilt

OldePhart
11-08-2012, 04:43 PM
That's just stunning Bob, congratulations mate...I look like Kermit the Frog right now... :drool:

You have big bulging eyes??!! Sounds serious, Jon; you better get that checked...

John

OldePhart
11-08-2012, 04:44 PM
That's a beauty for sure. Congrats on the new baby!

hobblecreek
11-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Dude -- I know the description on AV's website said the top is Sitka Spruce, but it looks a lot more like Adirondack, which is the holy grail of tonewood tops. Either way, very nice acquisition. Enjoy!

saltytri
11-09-2012, 10:43 AM
GREAT instrument! Ditch the Aquilas and it will rock your musical world.

Tailgate
11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
GREAT instrument! Ditch the Aquilas and it will rock your musical world.

hope so! which strings would you suggest for this baby??

Mim
11-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Collings are perfection! Congrats!

saltytri
11-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Easy! Southcoast mediums are a great place to start. A Collings deserves these.

Enjoy!!

Tailgate
11-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Easy! Southcoast mediums are a great place to start. A Collings deserves these.

Enjoy!!

ok. Couldn't stand the Aquilas another day. Put on some Living Water strings and switched to Low G. No problem with the nut accepting the stings and the sound is now AMAZING.. Very clear and sweet. Not as bright as the Aquilas, which are way to bright for me. Really liking this uke.

OldePhart
11-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I can't believe that they put Aquila strings on them to begin with. First, it's like putting Continental tires on a Ferrari. Second, you should probably need a permit for a lethal weapon to play a maple/spruce uke with Aquilas! My ears hurt just thinking about how bright that has to be. LOL

John

Hippie Dribble
11-10-2012, 12:13 PM
I can't believe that they put Aquila strings on them to begin with.

indeed brother...it's surely one of life's greatest mysteries :wtf:

soupking
11-10-2012, 03:02 PM
I still have the stock Aquilas on my UC-1. They're so good that I have no desire to even try anything else on it. It's a perfect match, IMO. Just goes to show that people have varying tastes, I guess. I love Aquilas and really don't understand the more recent backlash against them, but to each their own.

Uke-lahoma
11-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Wow! That's some crazy grain! Beautiful!

blue_knight_usa
11-10-2012, 04:59 PM
hope so! which strings would you suggest for this baby??

I have to agree to try something else on the Colllings. I have a Collings UC3K. Try a set of Savarez (they sell uke sets now and you can get Low G or High G sets), or Ph.D's, or Living Waters (Ken Middleton). I use these on all my ukes.

I have tried just about every string on the market and these strings above give incredible response. I do have a set of Martin's on my Martin soprano but they are too thin for me on my concerts and I use the others on my tenors and long scale tenor. It's all about finding what YOU like in the sound. The Aquila's definitely do not perform like any of the other strings. Much plinkier and harsh sounding with not a lot of depth and sustain to my ears.

I have Ph.D's on my Collings UC3-K concert now and it chimes with great sustain (High G). My Tenor's have PH.D's, Living Waters, and Savarez and all are excellent. These were the three I finally found and had them on different ukes and they all worked well so I have good options now for various widths of strings (have to be careful as some saddles won't take certain thicker strings. Collings for example has to use a wound on the Low G because any non-wound does not fit the slot on mine. I will be doing a video review of my Collings soon so you can see how it sounds.

Everyone likes what they like in the way of sound but every uke I have just seemed to be restrained by the Aquila's or were much "plinkier" sounding. Some say they like that sound because it's a "uke" sound, but I think the other strings bring out much more sustain and depth to the notes and. I am not saying Aquila's are bad because they are not and some of my friends like them on their ukes and they just seem to work well on their instruments. I just feel that they don't seem to have the dynamic range of the other strings that are out there for my ears on my instruments.

Good luck and post your tests and tell us what you think. Experimenting is a lot of fun. (at least to me).

Cheers!

Markr1
11-10-2012, 05:05 PM
I had Aquilas on my Collings UT-1 and thought they sounded great. I have Worths on it now and they sound good too. I believe whatever brand of strings you use on a Collings it's going to sound good.
I still have the stock Aquilas on my UC-1. They're so good that I have no desire to even try anything else on it. It's a perfect match, IMO. Just goes to show that people have varying tastes, I guess. I love Aquilas and really don't understand the more recent backlash against them, but to each their own.

coolkayaker1
11-10-2012, 05:24 PM
I had Aquilas on my Collings UT-1 and thought they sounded great. I have Worths on it now and they sound good too. I believe whatever brand of strings you use on a Collings it's going to sound good.

I just got a Collings UT-1 mahogany today, Mark1. It came with the stock Aquilas. I am thinking about changing them out, largely bc mine has a Baggs 5.0 and the battery box came unattached from the inner side on shipping, so I have to take off strings (or move aside) to reglue anyhow, might as well throw something else on there. No reason, really. I just put KoOlau Alohis on my KoAloha tenor this week, man those are good (John, I like them better than the Golds...if you can imagine--they're jsut as "fat" but better tone and none of that out of pitch tuning).

OldePhart
11-11-2012, 08:12 AM
(John, I like them better than the Golds...if you can imagine--they're jsut as "fat" but better tone and none of that out of pitch tuning).

Thanks for the info, Steve. I guess I'll try some Alohi strings. It's been over a week now and I love the tone of the Golds but they are still a little squirrely on the tuning. I think some of the problem was what we talked about before - but not all of it. A few nights ago it was fairly cool (mid 60's) so I took the mango soprano with the Golds out on the porch to see what happened and the tuning definitely dove flat pretty quickly so they are definitely more sensitive to temperature than most as Baz pointed out.

It's a shame really because they do sound so good for the few minutes that they are in tune. :(

John

smellofstrings
11-16-2012, 08:25 PM
WOW!!! It's hot!!! Collings ukes rule!!!