Kala KA-T Lefty Nut?

nullsys

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm brand new to Ukulele, but I've been a guitarist for over 20 years now.
I am however left handed.

I am considering the Kala KA-T. I love the look and sound of it.
But, I haven't been able to get my hands on one to look at the top nut.

Can anyone tell me if it would require a replacement top-nut so the strings will fit into the slots after switching them over for this model, I don't want to just put up with poorly fitting strings otherwise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Not familiar with that model but it's probably about a 50/50 chance that it's a simple plastic molded nut with the same width slots all the way across. That's fairly common on the lower-end (laminated) ukes.

Even if it's not you wouldn't necessarily need to replace the nut, just widen one or two slots slightly (probably only the E string slot to accomodate the C string). The E string in the C slot might end up with a bit of extra space but probably not so much as to "squirm" and kill sustain.

Actually, you really want a setup on ukes in that category anyway - I've only owned a couple of Kalas but they were the higher end solid-wood models and they still needed some work on the nut to get the intonation spot-on at the first couple of frets. So, you should seriously consider buying only from someone who deals ukes and is going to set it up for you - and in that case they probably won't charge you much, if any, extra to switch it to lefty.

May be able to get a replacement nut for left hand very cheaply from Kala. got a bone nut and saddle for my 6 string for just a few dollars.

Top Bottom