First Ukulele Underground Post

WAGWAD

Reaction score
I have been using this forum for the last year or so as my go to location for all types of answers to my ukulele building questions so I thought I would say thanks and introduce myself.

I am retired and for the past few years have volunteered at a local junior college with a great string instrument building program. I was asked if I could help in the ukulele building class to assist students in the shop. Having never built any type instrument I was a little apprehensive but said I would help. Long story short, I built a ukulele along with the class and found a new passion. I don't play any instrument so everything I build I either give to family and friends or donate to charity auctions.

Attached are a few photos of my last two projects. The acoustic ukulele is an all urban wood ukulele made of Torrey Pine for the back and sides and Bunya for the top and bracing. The headstock veneer, fret board, and bridge are Spalted Sycamore. The nut and saddle are curly Eucalyptus. I made it for the 2013 Carter Center Auction which will be held in San Diego in February.

The solid body electric was made as a gift for the instructor in the ukulele class. It has a through neck made of Black Acacia. The wings are Birds Eye Maple with a curly Redwood top veneer. The fret board and bridge are Cocoabolo with and under saddle piezo.

Thanks again to all of you on the forum for your help.

Wally

Attachments

• PICT0069.jpg
    PICT0069.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 54
  • PICT0068.jpg
    PICT0068.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT0065.jpg
    PICT0065.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 61
  • PICT0059.jpg
    PICT0059.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 54
  • PICT0064.jpg
    PICT0064.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 42
Definite Japanese influence. I really like the one that appears to be a bonsai with pine cone fret markers,but they are both very nice. Just lovely work. Also, looked at your other work on the Carter Center website very nature oriented. Like the style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom