Strings sound dead

Darnod

Reaction score
I just bought my Lanikai LU-21 uke about a month ago and when I play songs that require notes in the upper registers the notes just sounds dead. They don't ring out and just sounds very flat and lifeless. Is it just time for new strings already or does the problem run deeper than that?

The strings on your Uke have been on it since manufacture. They are also probably crappy. Time for new ones m8 :)

That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't an instrument problem. Off string shopping I go!!!!! Thanks for the help.

If that doesn't solve it, have to make sure frets don't need leveling

Also, keep in mind that the LU-21 isn't a real high-end uke. My first uke was an LU-21C (wifey still has it) and I've bought several LU-21 and LU-11 ukes for grandkids because once I set them up they are decent beginners ukes that don't break the bank.

But, they've all been rather quiet up the fretboard. By around the tenth fret you get more of a "tink" than a "twiiinng."

Also, they ship with Aquila strings which work well on them but I've found the Aquila strings to be very dead in humid weather. So, I'd definitely change strings but don't expect it to suddenly become super sustainy up the neck.

John

I'd also suggest new strings. Ken Middleton is now putting out Living Waters which are very nice strings, Savarez I'm a huge fan of and also the new PH.D. strings are excellent. I was turned on to these playing with Daniel Ho a few months back. His buddy makes them and has a Ph.D. in molecularly biology I think and developed this formula for the strings. The provide a lot of sustain and are a little brighter than the Savarez but not as bright.
Daniel plays with them and records with them. They are so close to my Savarez, I can't tell the difference other than they are a tad bit lighter (thinner string) but has no negative effect. Just my .02.

Good luck!

Keep in mind that it will take a bit of time for the new strings to settle in. The nylon strings we all use need to stretch a bit. When you first put them on, the top string will be out of tune by the time you get to the bottom. It gets better.

Top Bottom