Case/Soundhole Humidifier

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
Should I consider one for my "K" in England ? Not sure how our humidity compares with Hawaii, or how well solid Koa Ukes transplant to Blighty.

From everything I've heard, you shouldn't have to worry about lack of humidity in jolly old England. The only thing that you might have to worry about is your heat source during the winter. If you use central (gas) heat, then you will probably need a humidifier. But, if you use steam heat, nah.

From everything I've heard, you shouldn't have to worry about lack of humidity in jolly old England. The only thing that you might have to worry about is your heat source during the winter. If you use central (gas) heat, then you will probably need a humidifier. But, if you use steam heat, nah.

See, ours is water-based but it dries out our flat like a mofo (I know that makes no sense, but there ya go). Maybe get one of those little temp/humidity digital gauges for the room and see if it can manage 40% or so. Ours is 27%, sadly, although Helsinki isn't a dry place at all.

See, ours is water-based but it dries out our flat like a mofo (I know that makes no sense, but there ya go). Maybe get one of those little temp/humidity digital gauges for the room and see if it can manage 40% or so. Ours is 27%, sadly, although Helsinki isn't a dry place at all.

Hmm...wouldn't a thunk it!

It's understandable - hot water or steam systems keep the water/steam inside the radiatior so they don't introduce moisture to the air much at all (unless they are old and not tightly sealed - which is usually obvious).

The biggest factors in how dry heating and/or AC systems make the indoor air are 1) the exchange rate with outside air and 2) whether the system is sized properly. Some people when having an HVAC system installed let a contractor talk them into buying too large of a system - the system then runs for very short periods and the air inside can remain so damp that it promotes mold growth. On the other hand, a system that is undersized and runs almost constantly will generally run the humidity way down into the low twenties or teens.

John

Hmm...wouldn't a thunk it!

I was about to shrug and say I dunno, but OldePhart explained why. I don't know what other systems are in the building, but I know it's water-based. I used to have a room humidifier but it sounds like an old boat now. The ones they sell here seem to be made to last a season. But the cases keep their humidity really well. I just don't like the humidity swing because you can feel the instrument respond, but I guess it's ok. Wood moves a bit.

You need a hygrometer to see if you have a problem or not. You can get good ones at most cigar shops. For $20 you'll get piece of mind

I don't know about your house, but mine is one of those old English brick houses with terrible insulation, so even when my heating is on maximum the humidity level never drops below 45-50%. One of my walls is actually permanently wet! Sigh.
For comparison, I used to live in Sweden's rainiest city, way more humid than here outdoors, but most housing in Sweden is properly insulated so humidity level would drop to 25-30% with the heating on. So it all depends.

Watch out for big and fast variations of temperature if your thermostat isn't very well calibrated, this is also a potential source of damage because it can cause the wood to contract and expand several times a day.

Top Bottom